Poweramp not a HiRes player

Bracket

For months now Poweramp is not a HiRes music app on my player, the Fiio M15. I have to use another app to get the sublime audio that this player is capable of. Poweramp sounds mediocre on it. And when I activate HiRes output much is distorted, no matter what settings I try. How come other apps can do what Poweramp cannot? I really would like to know: is it that difficult to make Poweramp work properly on the Fiio M15? As good as UAPP and the Fiio Music app?

I did put down a request for HiRes support in the other thread, with all the audio specs, but without receiving any reply. 

Poweramp has by far the best UI of all the music apps I know and I hate not being able to use it anymore. 

Have you tried resetting Audio > Outputs to default settings (or even clear app data, and let it set everything up from scratch)? Also try with DVC enabled or disabled.

The Fiio range uses fairly heavily modified versions of Android, and highly non-standard hardware, which I believe makes them something of a niche moving target spec-wise. I don't know if @maxmp has an M15 for testing purposes. He does have a wide range of devices but obviously can't have one of every Android device that's ever been released.

Also, you first mentioned this M15 issue one month ago, and there hasn't been a new build created since then. I'm sure this will be on Max's radar for the future, but currently all of his development time is going into the project to enhance PA Equaliser's and make it available as a stand-alone product (due later this month).

Andre

On 11/7/2020 at 4:59 PM, andrewilley said:

Have you tried resetting Audio > Outputs to default settings (or even clear app data, and let it set everything up from scratch)? Also try with DVC enabled or disabled.

The Fiio range uses fairly heavily modified versions of Android, and highly non-standard hardware, which I believe makes them something of a niche moving target spec-wise. I don't know if @maxmp has an M15 for testing purposes. He does have a wide range of devices but obviously can't have one of every Android device that's ever been released.

Also, you first mentioned this M15 issue one month ago, and there hasn't been a new build created since then. I'm sure this will be on Max's radar for the future, but currently all of his development time is going into the project to enhance PA Equaliser's and make it available as a stand-alone product (due later this month).

Andre

Hello André, thanks for replying. I had already tried dvc on/off plus all sorts of other stuff (no idea where to find the -clear app data- that you mentioned though, can you let me know?). What I did not do is -restore defaults-. I don't know anymore which ones I tapped on, apart from audio output, but the end result is that the frequent distortions disappeared. So the sound seems allright now. As long as I keep the preamp of the EQ at a minimum. And as long as I don't give it too much bass. I still have the impression that UAPP is more clear, bright, transparant, more effortless. Admittedly, that may be in my head after listening to so many tracks that did not come out well via Poweramp.

You describe the Fiio range as a technical niche and for that reason hard to crack for true HiRes output. However, Poweramp did facilitate HiRes output for last year's M11. Since then the Android version has not changed (it is still 7.0) and the Exynos 7872 processor is still in use. What has changed (apart from other stuff surely) are the DAC chips. They have gone a step up, the M15 has two AKM AK4499EQ. Since you've done it before it is perhaps a bit less complicated to make Poweramp M15 compatibel as well. I really hope Maxim can find a moment to look into this.

Many thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, Bracket said:

Hello André, thanks for replying. I had already tried dvc on/off plus all sorts of other stuff (no idea where to find the -clear app data- that you mentioned though, can you let me know?). What I did not do is -restore defaults-. I don't know anymore which ones I tapped on, apart from audio output, but the end result is that the frequent distortions disappeared. So the sound seems allright now. As long as I keep the preamp of the EQ at a minimum. And as long as I don't give it too much bass. I still have the impression that UAPP is more clear, bright, transparant, more effortless. Admittedly, that may be in my head after listening to so many tracks that did not come out well via Poweramp.

You describe the Fiio range as a technical niche and for that reason hard to crack for true HiRes output. However, Poweramp did facilitate HiRes output for last year's M11. Since then the Android version has not changed (it is still 7.0) and the Exynos 7872 processor is still in use. What has changed (apart from other stuff surely) are the DAC chips. They have gone a step up, the M15 has two AKM AK4499EQ. Since you've done it before it is perhaps a bit less complicated to make Poweramp M15 compatibel as well. I really hope Maxim can find a moment to look into this.

Many thanks.

First, I don't have Hi Res files, so that has never been an issue for me, but I recently got the Fiio x5 III and have been reading forum posts about it non stop for 2 weeks. Any difference between the models and how Poweramp works could be due to audio driver implementation by Fiio. I'm not saying that's the issue, but I think these players have a lot of moving parts.

On my X5 III, I am using a custom kernel that makes quite a few internal changes. Then in Poweramp, I disabled DVC and changed the negative gain applied when DVC is turned off to 0. Now Poweramp sounds like Fiio to my ears.

Archived