Bookmarks option

erikgdd

I do follow your reflection, Andre. Maybe I think to much at the physical Albums  (Cd's) the I put on the bookshelf 🤔

To play my music on the Synology NAS station i use the standard DS Audio App. There I have the option to mark albums as Favourite. In large music collection, it makes it easier to find complete albums  in the "Favourite" music folder.

In PA, you mark individual tracks as favourites (using the thumbs up/down system, or star ratings) rather than whole albums.

In this age of disparate ways of consuming audio, the concept of an album is just one way to organise stuff, although album is probably still the most common category. For example, I tend to use Folders much more often - which of course could still represent an artist or an album in some cases, but also a series of files that have some other sort of shared connection (Singles, live concert music, podcasts, audiobooks, radio shows, etc).

There was another recent thread which brought up sorting categories (such as albums) by Recently Played status, for which the easiest option seemed to be to base such a notion on the most recently-played track within that category. Perhaps the same could be applied to sorting by Ratings, in which PA could generate an internal aggregate value for a whole album (or category) based on the ratings of the individual contained tracks? Maybe creating an averaged value of all of the songs within an album that have been rated, ignoring unrated tracks? Just an idea anyway.

Andre

On 9/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, erikgdd said:

I do follow your reflection, Andre. Maybe I think to much at the physical Albums  (Cd's) the I put on the bookshelf 🤔

Same here !

On 9/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, andrewilley said:

In PA, you mark individual tracks as favourites (using the thumbs up/down system, or star ratings) rather than whole albums.

I understand why it is. But when you're an "album-focused" listener (like I am, and as erikgdd and a bunch of other people seem to be), only having the option to mark tracks as favourites is kind of a nonsense.

That's because my music library is composed by albums, and I have favourites albums that I like to listen. In each album, I may (or may not) also have favourite tracks, but these can be favourites within the album.

Then

On 9/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, andrewilley said:

PA could generate an internal aggregate value for a whole album (or category) based on the ratings of the individual contained tracks?

would IMO also be nonsense, as my favourite tracks could be just my favourite tracks of that particular album, which would not necessarily be one of my favourite albums at all. Also, a solution consisting of "constructing a favourite album category based on some lower-level infos" seems wonky and unreliable to me (although I think it would work for the "last played album", but because implications are not the same).

I think the best thing would be just to think about albums as a full-fledged category and to be able to mark favourite at that level. Then adding a list of favourite albums, what would basically be just a filtered "album" category.

Archived