Physical buttons & Poweramp playback control

martloaf

So after a couple of days using Poweramp on my HiBy player, I'm fully a convert – it's immensely better than HiBy Music, which I was using up until now.

The issue I'm having at the moment is with the physical buttons on my player – they will only control Poweramp playback if the app is on screen. If the screen is locked, or I'm on the home screen of my device, the physical buttons will trigger the playing or skipping of music on the native music player, HiBy Music (even when I've closed the HiBy music app).

I suppose the default HiBy Music app has special priveleges and permissions, which makes sense. It might be a device-specific question, but I wondered if anyone knows how to change these settings on Android, or whether Poweramp has settings that mean that it becomes the default app for physical control responses.

Cheers

Martin

I think it's most likely a problem with the device, but you could just check that Settings > Misc > 'Use Wakelock' and 'Keep Service' are enabled. Also make sure you have PA whitelisted in your Android App Settings so it can't be disabled when the device goes to sleep.

Andre

Thanks Andrew.

Would you mind elaborating on the whitelisting process, or is that something that will be specific to my device?

I applied the other settings you suggested, but it didn't make a difference unfortunately.

I've now disabled the HiBy Music app, so it no longer activates. However, I still can't control Poweramp with the physical buttons unless the app is on the screen.

Thanks for your help.
Martin

yes that will RIP your battery.

In the app settings in android allow the app to run in the background and such should be a better solution.
Make sure phone isnt in power saving mode. then...
Settings > apps > app launch > find Poweramp and then uncheck manage auto. enable all 2 checkboxes and then do the same for the Poweramp unlocker app. exit the app and/or reboot device to be on the safe side.

8 hours ago, martloaf said:

Would you mind elaborating on the whitelisting process, or is that something that will be specific to my device?

It is specific to your Android version, but try either the Android Settings > Apps menu, or Android Settings > Device Care > Battery > App Power Management > Apps that won't be put to sleep. You may need to add both Poweramp and the unlocker. 

Andre

• 9 months later...

I just bought a Hiby R6 2020 and have the same issue with PA. Physical buttons don't work. Whenever I click on the buttons while the screen is off, the music stops playing and the app stops working. 

I emailed Hiby as well, awaiting a response. 

I was wondering if anyone found a solution to this for Hiby DAPs. 

I am not familiar with Hiby players, but I do have an iBasso DX160. The physical play/pause, previous, and next buttons all function with the screen on and off. So maybe a setting in the Hiby menu needs to be applied? But Poweramp does support the feature.

• 4 months later...