...Newbee - Best audio file format???

ethan417

Hi

I'm new to ripping CDs.

I am a Poweramp 3 owner - I love this product.

I noticed that when I listen to audio in my car - MP3 190 bps just doesn't do it for me.

I have about 700 CDs and unfortunately, I've ripped many of them (using DBPoweramp) as MP3s at 190.

Someone suggested that I rip them as FLAC and then convert the ones I want to take with me to a different format for my phone.

What do you think?

I have an Android phone - what format is good for my portable device, bit rate, etc.?

Keep in mind that I have about 6,000 songs on my phone.

Thanks so much.

FLAC is lossless, so it effectively stores the whole of the quality that the CD can deliver - but at much larger file sizes compared to MP3. But for archival purposes, it's great.

For listening while driving, with engine and road noise too, a good MP3 encode at 192kbps should be fine, but you can go up to 320kps if you want (which is still smaller than FLAC).

Personally I tend to use VBR (variable bitrate) which allows the encoder to adjust on-the-fly depending on the needs of the music. LAME's V0 setting usually averages out to around 230kpbs, with some portions using higher bitrates than others. 

Andre

I rip all my CD's into two formats as your friend suggests:

• flac + cue, this is a single large file per CD, this is lossless format and I consider this future proof, if there is a need for a new format in the future, then I can rip it from the flac. Basically I have no need for the physical disc as I have the image. This can also be used to burn a copy of the original disc.
  • mp3 as VBR as @andrewilley proposed, it would be faster to rip the flac to mp3 but I'm to lazy to look into how to do that with EAC.

mp3 VBR is good enough for me, I can't really tell the difference between the flac and mp3 music with my equipment and ears, but maybe one day...

My recommendation at this point is to be consistent in your naming and be structured, as it will be hell to go back later on and correct things, trust me, I have done a couple of rounds of tag corrections and re-organizations in my days... You can either let your software organize the files for you, but I prefer to have all files in a directory tree that I have defined. What works for me is a folder tree with "Artist/Album" folders.

As said please be consistent with your tags or otherwise you will end up with a mess in Artist Views, as "The Doors" and "Doors" would show up as different artists. Set the artist name for both CD Artist and CD Performer to the same value.

Always tag your compilation albums with the same CD artist name such as "Various Artists" and the performing artist as CD Performer.

Just to give you a idea of disc space,  I have 634 discs ripped as mp3 in my collection, most of them ripped as VBR, and these consumes 63GB of disk.

Total number of dirs:   634
Total number of files:   8216
Average file size:   7.78 MB
Average playing time:   4 minutes and 5 seconds
Total size of files:   62.46 GB (63958.43 MB)
Total playing time:   23 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes, and 32 seconds

My 491 flac disc images consumes a total of 167GB of disc space.

One last recommendation, keep a backup of your files, as you don't want to re do all of your hard work!

22 minutes ago, 6b6561 said:

I rip all my CD's into two formats as your friend suggests:

• flac + cue, this is a single large file per CD, this is lossless format and I consider this future proof, if there is a need for a new format in the future, then I can rip it from the flac. Basically I have no need for the physical disc as I have the image. This can also be used to burn a copy of the original disc.
  • mp3 as VBR as @andrewilley proposed, it would be faster to rip the flac to mp3 but I'm to lazy to look into how to do that with EAC.

mp3 VBR is good enough for me, I can't really tell the difference between the flac and mp3 music with my equipment and ears, but maybe one day...

My recommendation at this point is to be consistent in your naming and be structured, as it will be hell to go back later on and correct things, trust me, I have done a couple of rounds of tag corrections and re-organizations in my days... You can either let your software organize the files for you, but I prefer to have all files in a directory tree that I have defined. What works for me is a folder tree with "Artist/Album" folders.

As said please be consistent with your tags or otherwise you will end up with a mess in Artist Views, as "The Doors" and "Doors" would show up as different artists. Set the artist name for both CD Artist and CD Performer to the same value.

Always tag your compilation albums with the same CD artist name such as "Various Artists" and the performing artist as CD Performer.

Just to give you a idea of disc space,  I have 634 discs ripped as mp3 in my collection, most of them ripped as VBR, and these consumes 63GB of disk.

Total number of dirs:   634
Total number of files:   8216
Average file size:   7.78 MB
Average playing time:   4 minutes and 5 seconds
Total size of files:   62.46 GB (63958.43 MB)
Total playing time:   23 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes, and 32 seconds

My 491 flac disc images consumes a total of 167GB of disc space.

One last recommendation, keep a backup of your files, as you don't want to re do all of your hard work!

This is very helpful - Thank you!

Stay Safe!

Archived