Cropping Album Art

One suggestion: when selecting album art, can there be a cropping option? 

Or at least an option that automatically crops the art to 1:1 aspect ratio?

Sometimes it's unsatisfying to set album art that is 4:3 for example and to see it differently shaped than other art which are 1:1. And then it's inconvenient to crop it manually or search the web for the right sized art.

Just something I've been thinking of. Hope this can be implemented somehow :)

So after goodness knows how many years of people requesting that album art should be displayed accurately, at its correct and uncropped ratio, and finally having that implemented, someone was bound to come along and want it cropped again... :) 

Thankfully, Max left the old mode as an option - try disabling Settings > Album Art > Keep Aspect Ratio.

Andre

7 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

So after goodness knows how many years of people requesting that album art should be displayed accurately, at its correct and uncropped ratio, and finally having that implemented, someone was bound to come along and want it cropped again... :) 

Thankfully, Max left the old mode as an option - try disabling Settings > Album Art > Keep Aspect Ratio.

Andre

I'm aware of that option but it doesn't solve the issue. Apologies if this is a stupid request. 

I mainly listen to scores and instrumental stuff, and much of the tracks' album art aren't formed to 1:1 when set, which I would like them to be.

Is a manual/automatic crop function for album art not possible for the app?

Again, sorry if this seems like a waste of time. 

2 hours ago, megatavi said:

Is a manual/automatic crop function for album art not possible for the app?

Yes, the option I mentioned was meant to revert back to the old display mode, in which non-square images were cropped to fit into neat squares.

This is one of the old threads that discusses the issue, it this what you are asking for?

I too have lots of tracks which have non-square covers (anything that was released in a DVD-style sleeve for example), but the problem with cropping those was that often the important bits (title text for example) were either at the top or the bottom, so they got cut off.

What sort of images are present in your files, vertical page images for example?

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, the option I mentioned was meant to revert back to the old display mode, in which non-square images were cropped to fit into neat squares.

This is one of the old threads that discusses the issue, it this what you are asking for?

I too have lots of tracks which have non-square covers (anything that was released in a DVD-style sleeve for example), but the problem with cropping those was that often the important bits (title text for example) were either at the top or the bottom, so they got cut off.

What sort of images are present in your files, vertical page images for example?

Andre

The vertical ones do get affected by that setting, but there are horizontally lengthy ones (1280x720 for example) that don't get cropped whether the setting is on or off. 

And I was thinking, if it's not too ambitious, that it would be really nice to have a manual cropping option when selecting album art. Like how they do in photo editing apps where you can drag and resize, and/or select preset sizes (e.g. 1:1, 4:3, etc.)

3 hours ago, megatavi said:

The vertical ones do get affected by that setting, but there are horizontally lengthy ones (1280x720 for example) that don't get cropped whether the setting is on or off. 

@maxmp could you maybe adjust that the 'Keep Aspect Ratio' setting (i.e. crop cover artwork to square) so that it works with landscape images too? I must admit, I'd forgotten it was only used for portrait artwork. It would make more logical sense now if it did both.

Andre

7 minutes ago, maxmp said:

I guess this option could be changed to Keep, Keep landscape, and Crop selection. 

Or maybe if you are going to have a couple of options in there: Original ; Crop ; Stretch/Fill  (meaning (1) keep all images in correct ratio ; (2) crop the mid-portions to make a square box ; (3) stretch/squash whole image to fill the square shape). I don't think it's now worth differentiating between how landscape and portrait images are handled.

Andre

Archived