Adding new files to existing folders, files are added to dB without respecting sort order

HoratioAlgerIII

Samsung Galaxy S7, stock Android v9

Poweramp version v3.build.860-amd-play

Since updating to this version a few days ago, I've experienced an apparent bug when adding files to existing folders (SD card, in my case). I listen to podcasts and download new episodes, usually, singly, to my desktop. I thin fix any issues with metadata and then upload them, generally one at a time with days in between each upload, to the per-existing podcast folders on my phone to play later in PA. The sort order is by track number.

The issue is that new files that I add to existing folders are then shown at the top of the list for that podcast, not the bottom which was the case prior. So, I might see newly added episode 250 at the top of the list, then 200, 201, 202 etc. rather than 250 appearing at the bottom of the list. If I edit the metadata for the oldest episode, say 200, to overwrite the track number *with the same number as was already there (i.e. keep track number 200)* and save, it will then move back to the top, with 250 next, then 201, 202 etc. Same happens when I edit but don't change the track number for eps 201, 202 etc. If I edit episode 250 in the same way, it stays in the "wrong"place in the order.

I find that if I delete all podcasts from that folder, then FTP them back again from my desktop, the sort order is preserved, so ep 250 appears at the bottom of the list, correctly. This is also the case if I copy a new set of grouped tracks, from an album say, to a new folder - the sort order is observed correctly too.

So, it looks like something has gone wrong with the import process to existing folders such that track numbers aren't being observed properly. This becomes apparent when tracks are sorted by track order (default, I think).

Anyone else seen this? Anyone happy to try replicating?

What happens when you enable track number viewing within the title line text (Settings > Library > Lists > Show Track Number). Do the numbers show on there correctly but still in the wrong order, or are they in some way missing (indicating that metadata is not being full read during the scanning processes) and hence ordered incorrectly? There was an issue with tracks beyond 99 causing display issues when this feature was first introduced, but it should be fine by build 860.

Andre

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the reply. I made the change you suggested, and the correct track numbers appear in the list, but the sorting issue remains. It does seem like metadata isn't being read or interpreted fully when new files are added. I'll try adding a new file while PA is actually running, and report back a little later and I'll post explanatory images.

A couple of things spring to mind, first double-check List Options to ensure you are actually using Track# sorting for that list, and also is it possible that some of the files might also have a stray Disc# tag, as that will also affect sorting? Currently the main display only shows Track#, not "Disc# / Track#", but if you look in the small metadata on the right, you should see the disc number if you have enabled it in Settings > Library > Lists > Show Disc.

image.png

Andre

Thanks again, Andrew.

Before I send the files to my phone, I check the metadata as content providers can be a bit cavalier about that kind of thing. So, for the podcasts I upload, the Disc # is always 0 - it seems from the screenshots below that this means that Disc# doesn't show in the metadata displayed. I sometimes have to edit the track number before uploading though. I've checked and all of the files involved in this issue have consistent metadata.

The attached images show

1) The sorting order

2) The list of tracks in one of the affected folders, showing the incorrect order. The tracks at the top (before 250) are ones where I've edited the metadata within PA to "change" the track number to the same number, and re-saved. The newest files numbered 250 - 252 one are ones I uploaded after the recent PA update over a few days. You'll see that after 252 (the latest upload) the order goes back to where it was before 250.

3) The metadata for file 209, an older file, as an example.

4) the metadata for file 250, showing the correct track number.

Screenshot_20200127-143725_Poweramp.jpg

You just cropped off the details of the later items. After 250/251/252 came 209/210/etc, which it would be interesting to see the data from (track and disc) as that's what should have been after 208. Could you also enable the disc number display (Settings > Library > Lists > Show Disc). Whenever a track number is present, the disc number field should default to showing a filler value of '1' if there is no actual disc number present in the tags (which I think probably needs changing to a null value, just like for missing Track#  tags, but that's how it works for now).

Andre

Ah, apologies. I must've got a bit over zealous when cropping. Attached below are 6 new images, not cropped.

As you'll see, I've enabled Disc on Lists. Weirdly, even though the disc number on files stored on my desktop is set to 0 for all of these files, the disc number only shows up in the PA track listing against some of the tracks - but not in a way that would explain the problem. Also, the disc number isn't displayed in any of the metadata for the tracks. So, hmm.

1.jpg

Archived