Cannot sanely adjust volume in other apps with physical hardware keys when Poweramp is running in the background

SuperMrBlob

When Poweramp is running in the background, with playback paused and the playback options visible in the notification shade, if I go to adjust volume using the physical hardware keys on my phone (Exynos S9+ running Oreo), I see the normal 'media' volume slider popup for a second, but then the 'Poweramp' slider just appears on top if it. I cannot adjust volume below a certain point, sometimes the volume 'jumps' between certain levels rapidly.

Is this a known issue? It's incredibly annoying, I have to force stop Poweramp if I want to have sane volume control for other apps.

Here's a video of it. I first just push and hold the volume down key until about 5 seconds, then the volume up key until 8 seconds in, then the volume down key again.

I've screwed around a lot in settings -> audio -> output and settings -> audio -> DVC but have gotten nowhere. Always the same issue.

I assume the fix is an option to force Poweramp to output onto the standard audio output (as all other apps and media players do) and to completely disable this weird casting audio output track.

I would suggest trying with DVC turned off (although you may have already tried that), or use regular Android audio output modes in Settings > Audio > Output (e.g. OpenSL) rather than any of the high-res variants.

That said though, you should not have having these sort of issues on a stock non-rooted Galaxy S9.

Andre

Hey Andre, thanks so much for the response.

I can confirm that this is a stock non-rooted Exynos S9+.

The video above was filmed with DVC turned off (trying to turn it on gives me a warning with cancel / enable options).

Right now I went into Settings > Audio > Output and checked all five switched inside "OpenSL ES Output" and unchecked all switches in "OpenSL ES Hi-Res Output" and "AudioTrack Output". It says 'active' next to OpenSL ES Output. I force closed Poweramp, opened it, played a track, paused it, pushed the home button, and tried to adjust the volume with the physical hardware keys again. Unfortunately the same problem persists.

I did notice I had a Samsung app installed called 'SoundAssistant' that allows me to change the volume step size (was set to 3 from the default 10, so a more fine-grained volume control). I was excited for a moment as I thought I had figured out the problem, but uninstalling SoundAssistant did not fix the issue, so I imagine it can't be the culprit. When I uninstalled SoundAssistant my volume step size went back to 10 (10 pushes from max to min instead of ~33).

Also, I restarted my phone (after all the above uninstalling and checking boxes) and the issue still persists.

If you have any ideas, or any way I can help diagnose the issue, would really appreciate it. If this can be fixed Poweramp would be my perfect music player.

Cheers.

PA has its own stepped volume control feature, up to 100 steps if you want. However anything that hooks into bypasses Android audio path (such as DVC) can be prone to issues, one of which is that regular media volume control adjustments may start to show as Poweramp rather than Media. It sounds like two settings are conflicting with each other somewhere in your case.

Andre

It sounds like two settings are conflicting with each other somewhere in your case.

If you mean inside the Poweramp app, then I can confirm that the issue persists even after hitting 'Restore Defaults' in Settings > Audio > Output AND Settings > Audio > DVC and force stopping the app. I'm not sure what other settings could be relevant.

If what you're saying is that the problem isn't Poweramp related, and is instead some other app on my phone screwing with volume, then that theory seems unlikely to me. When pressing volume keys the default that's adjusted first is media volume (as in the video) which surely is system controlled. Then, the Poweramp volume control flies in, interfering with normal volume control. Surely it's highly unlikely that an app that isn't Poweramp could somehow force the media keys to control Poweramp's volume? I've gone through all my installed apps, and I don't see anything else that could be screwing with volume. Also, when Poweramp is playing music, the media controls properly control Poweramp volume and no 'media' flyout even appears. Could it not be just a bug in Poweramp that's incorrectly triggering the Poweramp media flyout when Poweramp is paused?

Also, would you be able to confirm this: is it WAI that it's impossible to remove that separate Poweramp... 'channel' (not sure what to call it)? That is, is it WAI that it's impossible to make Poweramp play music through normal android media channels (as all other apps, including music players, do)? As someone not familiar with how Poweramp or audio in android works, to me this appears to be a bug: that out of the three plus output options provided, none just play media through whatever android's default simple no-frills media output is, and turn off that Poweramp channel popup. Surely that could be fixed, or that option added?

Thanks again!

............I think I figured it out!! Was randomly turning knobs in settings. Here's what I had to do:

Audio > Advanced Tweaks > Volume Levels: DEFAULT (The key. This was turned on and seemed to be causing the problem)

Output: ES OR AudioTrack (Hi-Res brings back the Poweramp flyout)

DVC: OFF (Doesn't bring back the Poweramp flyout but causes volume to duck when adjusting and creates a weird delay)

That's it!! Seems fixed for both Bluetooth headset and speaker. Thanks guys!

Archived