Android Auto Can't Play Requested Album

maggior

I normally listen to albums when I listen to music.  What I have found is that when I request AA (configured to use Poweramp as the player) to play an album, it will play some random song from that album and proceed to play songs alphabetically in my library from there.

As an example, I'll say "Play the album To The Bone by Steven Wilson".  It will play the 7th song on the album called "Blank Tapes".  Following that, it will play a song that comes next alphabetically based on the song title...something starting with "Bl...".  The album happens to have a song titled "To The Bone" also.  if I just say "Play To The Bone" or "Play To The Bone by Steven Wilson", it does the same...it plays the 7th song on the album called "Blank Tapes".

So far, all I can get to work is:

- Play a specific song

- Play songs from a particular artist

- Play a playlist

Is this a known issue?  

Thanks!

From what you describe, it sounds very much like PA is running in All Songs mode, which would happen if a title is launched from an external file explorer rather than from within PA's own library. 

What happens if you launch the song manually in the Poweramp app, from the relevant songs list in Albums library view?

Andre

Using the PA UI on my phone, if I select an album from the list of albums and I select the first song to play, it will play through the album as you would expect.

Within AA, it's as though it's playing the song from the All Songs list.  I don't see that I have any control over this behavior.  Even when I say "Play the album..." it behaves in this weird way.

When you start an album song playing from AA, how do you do it? When it's playing, try going to the phone PA interface and tap on the artwork to see what library category list it takes you to. You can also tap on the metadata line at the bottom of the player screen a few times to see the category and current / total tracks info (such as "ALBUMS - 1 / 14"). I assume you do have Shuffle turned off and nothing in the Queue (although the problem you describe does sound like All Songs mode is in use).

Andre

When this happened, I tapped something on the aa screen that showed what category Poweramp was in and it was "songs".

FWIW, when I use Google assistant to do the same thing, it say "sorry something went wrong...". Perhaps this is another clue.

Try the voice command "Play <albumname> as album". Voice commands do seem a bit of a black art though, I find they work most of the time, but occasionally something just fails. "All Songs" is the default mode if you give it a track title though.

Andre

I tried that and it didn't work :(.  It says something along the lines of can't complete request....not found.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Am I the only person experiencing this issue?  Aa seems a bit wonky itself.  At one point it was playing my request from Google music even though I set Poweramp as the default player.

I thought this might be related to albums with songs that match the album title, but asking AA to play Abbey Road on Poweramp played some random song in the album and when I looked, PA was in "song" mode.

This problem is quite limiting in the functionality of PA when used with AA.  Can anybody say if this is a bug or if I am just not doing something correctly?  At least the maps in AA are really cool with real time traffic :).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem, whether I use AA or Google Assistant. It seems like whatever album you tell it to play, it plays the first song in alphabetical order on that album, then the next song is from the "All Songs" list. I ask it to play Santana Zebop (no song named "Zebop") and it plays the song American Gypsy, which is like the 8th track on the album. The next song in the que is the next song in alphabetical order from a totally different album. I ask it to play Santana Marathon (there is a song named "Marathon" on the album) and it plays "All I Ever Wanted",  which is like the 5th track. It's like PA defaults to the folder named "Artist/Album" and plays the first alphabetical song on the album from the "All Songs" list...Wierd. Anyway, it seems like it should be an easy fix and a REQUURED fix by PA. None of the other music apps I use on AA act this way. Musicole, Media Monkey and VLC all default to the album/folder and play the tracks in the folder, in either alphabetical or numeric order. I like PA, but it really makes it unusable in the car... 

On 9/14/2019 at 8:31 PM, Dadof10 said:

I submitted this problem to the developer via email. If I get a fix, I'll post it ..

I'm glad I'm not the only person seeing this issue.  Thanks for submitting the problem to the developer.  I really hope to see this resolved.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:39 AM, maggior said:

I'm glad I'm not the only person seeing this issue.  Thanks for submitting the problem to the developer.  I really hope to see this resolved.

Me too. In the meantime, Musicolet is the best one I've found for playing albums from folders. It plays them in alphabetical order, but it plays them all. I love Poweramp because of all the different settings, but like you, I like to listen to albums.

24 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Poweramp is exceptionally good at sorting and arranging music any way you like in its Library.

Google voice commands are somewhat more hit-and-miss though, personally I rarely bother with them. 

Andre

To change music while driving with AA, I have to use the voice commands. I would rather just be able to scroll manually, but it won't let me with the vehicle in motion. There are many different settings in PA, but I haven't found the one that makes it play the entire folder instead of from the All Songs list. I think it might be how it handles the cue, but I'm not sure. Got any ideas?

51 minutes ago, Dadof10 said:

There are many different settings in PA, but I haven't found the one that makes it play the entire folder instead of from the All Songs list. I think it might be how it handles the cue, but I'm not sure. Got any ideas?

As long as you are in Folders mode when you start playing (put it in that mode before you start driving, tap any song to start playback) then it will play a folder at a time, in whatever order you have previously set in List Options. Don't start new songs playing with AA / voice commands though, as that will revert out of Folders mode.

Andre

7 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As long as you are in Folders mode when you start playing (put it in that mode before you start driving, tap any song to start playback) then it will play a folder at a time, in whatever order you have previously set in List Options. Don't start new songs playing with AA / voice commands though, as that will revert out of Folders mode.

Andre

Ok, great... I'll try it tomorrow on the way to work... Thanks for the help...

47 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

Andre, I just went out and drove around the block a few times and tried it out. PA plays the selected folder in order, but you can't change it to another folder (album) because AA won't let you switch while driving, and Google Assistant just switches to All Songs when you use it. Musicolet works well with AA and GA. It defaults to playing the folder you ask for, and it will play a single song out of a folder if you ask (but you gotta ask nice) :) Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion. I really hope we find a fix because I would rather just use PA for everything instead of having to use a special player for the car...

On 9/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, Dadof10 said:

Andre, I just went out and drove around the block a few times and tried it out. PA plays the selected folder in order, but you can't change it to another folder (album) because AA won't let you switch while driving, and Google Assistant just switches to All Songs when you use it. Musicolet works well with AA and GA. It defaults to playing the folder you ask for, and it will play a single song out of a folder if you ask (but you gotta ask nice) :) Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion. I really hope we find a fix because I would rather just use PA for everything instead of having to use a special player for the car...

+1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, maggior said:

+1

Since the PA developers won't get back to me, even to simply acknowledge I have a problem, I found a workaround. I just make playlists. It's a little time consuming, but when you tell AA "play [playlist name] playlist" it plays the playlist from beginning to end. You can shuffle too. I simply go to the folder screen and click and hold an album. That selects the whole album (folder). When the menu pops up, select "playlist" and go from there. It's been working pretty well...

Archived