System overriding album artwork preferences

Kinda bizarre, niche issue.

An artist I like recently released an album, but in addition to standard album artwork, every individual track has its own artwork. When I first imported the album into Poweramp, this all displayed properly automatically, except for the first track, which I was able to manually fix.

Today, I had the stupid idea of trying to attach the full album artwork to the album filing in Poweramp, and I permanently had the whole system messed up. If I change the artwork on any of the tracks, it now changes it for all of them, even though those are the embedded images for the album artwork. I don't want that. I'd like to have the general album file separate from everything else so that this doesn't happen, but I'd settle for going back to how things were.

Yes, I cleared the album art cache. Yes, I deleted the files and re-downloaded them. No, they are not WAV files.

It is specifically the app's indexing system that is causing the problem—I can change the album name for every track, change the artwork from there, have the same issue arise, change the album name back to the original, and the artwork will immediately switch back to whichever artwork was last used for that spelling, even if I cleared the cache.

Help would be appreciated. But, like I said, a separate filing option for album artwork for individual tracks would be better.

Broadly speaking, "album art" is a bit of a misnomer in most cases. Usually it is more accurately track artwork. Each song in an album can have its own cover artwork (as you have said), and the one that PA usually uses when it shows the the overall Album listing is generally the track artwork that was found in the first song of the album. You can also use in-folder image files.

Older versions of PA would apply new or downloaded artwork to one track only, but more recently it seems to apply the same new image to all songs in an album (this behaviour would perhaps be better if it first prompted to update just the one or all songs).

Try removing the artwork cache folder completely ( /Android/Data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/album_art/ ) and/or do a FULL Rescan in Poweramp (in Settings > Library).

Andre

On 6/2/2019 at 7:14 PM, andrewilley said:

Broadly speaking, "album art" is a bit of a misnomer in most cases. Usually it is more accurately track artwork. Each song in an album can have its own cover artwork (as you have said), and the one that PA usually uses when it shows the the overall Album listing is generally the track artwork that was found in the first song of the album. You can also use in-folder image files.

Older versions of PA would apply new or downloaded artwork to one track only, but more recently it seems to apply the same new image to all songs in an album (this behaviour would perhaps be better if it first prompted to update just the one or all songs).

Try removing the artwork cache folder completely ( /Android/Data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/album_art/ ) and/or do a FULL Rescan in Poweramp (in Settings > Library).

Andre

I would LOVE IT if the overall Album Listing is the Track Artwork found in the 1st song/track of the Album. I set my Track Listing & Folders so this actually happens.

BUT IT DOESN'T !!!!!!!!  PA seems to choose ANTHING BUT the 1st track Artwork  ….  What am I Doing wrong & how can I GUARANTEE that the overall Album Listing Artwork is that of the 1st song ?

It's driving me mad - Please help !

@Colly Poweramp uses one of the album (category) tracks as source for the album/header image. It may be first, may be not - you can change sorting in wide range and album art of course won't be changed based on sorting. Priority is given to tracks with embedded album art. For tracks, embedded album art is also a priority. 

For tracks without embedded images, Poweramp will search and download image based on combination of album name, artist name, track name itself, file name, etc. For singles, track name will be most certainly used.

Note that you can override Album art (while in the target album category) via header menu / Album Art.

Here is overall album art logic description: http://support.powerampapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/323535-how-album-art-for-a-track-is-selected

Archived