[SOLVED] WebP album art not detected automatically

cak3

Hello, new user of Poweramp here! I'm still getting accustomed to everything and going through all the settings, but one thing I've noticed is that my WebP album arts aren't detected automatically. Selecting it manually in the album art picker works though. Doing some further testing, renaming "cover.webp" to "cover.jpg" lets Poweramp detect the image successfully. I don't know if support for this is intentional or not (maybe not, since it's simply supported by Android natively), but I assume fixing this would simply be adding *.webp as a valid image extension to attempt to load.

Anyways, thanks for your hard work! I've attached a webp image in case you want to do some testing yourself. I'm starting to shift to WebP from JPEG/PNG because of its massive efficiency lossless/lossy, so I hope this is considered.

EDIT: Forgot to add device information, my bad. 

Device: LG V20 (H990DS) 

Android Version: 7.0

ROM: SuperV20 by Dudeawsome (Stock-based)

Build: 826

artworks-000218649233-ir49n1-original.webp

I suspect the ability to load WebP image files is accidental, in that the underlying image processing subroutines may be able to handle the new codec (thanks Google, just what the world needed, yet another image storage format!). However PA officially supports JPEG images for in-folder cover art, and anything else that happens to work is just a nice bonus.

http://support.powerampapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/323535-how-album-art-for-a-track-is-selected

Andre

As I thought, then. Well, the article you linked is very informative (how did I miss this?). This means PNG isn't support nor detected normally either? Well, the <4MB rule probably makes 70% of PNG files unloadable anyways... but it's still surprising. If that's the case, I guess I can't be expecting official WebP anytime soon.

Getting off topic, but as for my outlook on Google pushing new file formats...honestly WebP is pretty good. Strikes down PNG, JPG, and especially GIF (full color, high quality animated images with an alpha channel and much smaller size? Sign me up!) in terms of internet use. I've also been using Opus@96kbps on the go for years now (not developed by Google but part of their WebM specifications along with VP9), pretty much transparent to my ears and darn small.

Anyways, as much as I'd like to use WebP, I guess it's too impractical to expect support for something in such insignificant number and size as...album art. For the time being, I'll just revert to jpg. Thanks for the response and information!

Yeah, WebP is a decent format, but still not widely enough supported - although more browsers are starting to pick up on it. But heaven-help the smaller or device-embedded browsers. It does merge many of the useful features of GIF, JPEG and PNG into one overarching standard though, and with Google behind it at least Chrome and Android libraries are likely to handle it.

As that famous computing quote goes, the great thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from.

Andre

Great news! Thanks for the consideration, this really is great.

Anyways, It's been a few days now, and after lots of time configuring the player, I'm liking Poweramp very much. There are some little things I have issues with, but I'll give it a while before make a post (after tinkering with the settings further).

Thanks again.

Archived