USB DAC questions

ManuCV

Dear all,

I have just received a USB DAC (Hidizs Sonata) which works like a charm with Poweramp (mobile: Honor View 10), Poweramp detects and identifies correctly the DAC. But I have a couple of questions. Sorry if these have been already answered but didn't find anything.

-in OpenSL ES Hi-Res output, the sample rate says "actual sample rate is defined by the device", but if I play a 24/96kHz file, it won't automatically switch to 96kHz unless manually selected. Usually it will say "Using: 48kHz". Is this a bug, expected behaviour or just my phone?

-when I use the USB DAC, the phone disables the Vibration mode and enables the sound, and for some reason the media volume will be treated as ringtone instead. Meaning that notifications will sound at the same volume as the music... don't have to tell you how annoying that can be. Is there any way to change that?

Thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, ManuCV said:

if I play a 24/96kHz file, it won't automatically switch to 96kHz unless manually selected.

Correct, there is no dynamic rate switching facility, you need to specify the highest rate you are going to need and let PA upsample anything lower than that. This is to avoid issues with crossfade and gapless playback, and glitching between tracks.

Andre

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, ManuCV said:

Dear all,

I have just received a USB DAC (Hidizs Sonata) which works like a charm with Poweramp (mobile: Honor View 10), Poweramp detects and identifies correctly the DAC. But I have a couple of questions. Sorry if these have been already answered but didn't find anything.

-in OpenSL ES Hi-Res output, the sample rate says "actual sample rate is defined by the device", but if I play a 24/96kHz file, it won't automatically switch to 96kHz unless manually selected. Usually it will say "Using: 48kHz". Is this a bug, expected behaviour or just my phone?

-when I use the USB DAC, the phone disables the Vibration mode and enables the sound, and for some reason the media volume will be treated as ringtone instead. Meaning that notifications will sound at the same volume as the music... don't have to tell you how annoying that can be. Is there any way to change that?

Thanks in advance!

Hey! I have a Pixel 2 XL and a sonata hd but I can't seem to be able to playback anything higher than 48kHz even when selected manually! Tried FLAC, dsd, no luck

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edit: I installed the pure sound firmware (D) on the sonata to get the clear sound. I now get 24 bit but not 192kHz. (on the Mac if I plug it in it works)

Archived