Fine control over seek

gdeff

I love the volume and other controls in equalizer/effects screens of Poweramp. Especially the fine control provided by moving finger farther away from center of volume knob as I'm "turning" it. Is there a skin or setting that can add this finer control to wave seek and static seek bars? That is, finer control over speed of seek the farther finger is away from bar? 

2 hours ago, gdeff said:

I love the volume and other controls in equalizer/effects screens of Poweramp. Especially the fine control provided by moving finger farther away from center of volume knob as I'm "turning" it. Is there a skin or setting that can add this finer control to wave seek and static seek bars? That is, finer control over speed of seek the farther finger is away from bar? 

As I see it, this finer control is due to the rotary nature of the volume control : the perimeter of a circle grows with the distance from the center, so you have finer control if you move your finger away from the knob. With a linear control as the waveseek bar this won't work.

15 hours ago, blaubär said:

As I see it, this finer control is due to the rotary nature of the volume control : the perimeter of a circle grows with the distance from the center, so you have finer control if you move your finger away from the knob. With a linear control as the waveseek bar this won't work.

Oh, it can definitely work that way, if so designed. See the Audible app for an example of a linear seek with rate that slows as you move finger away from bar.

The dynamic seekbar that was introduced as the default in Poweramp v3 was developed to operate in a similar fashion. Small movements scrub forward or back by short distances, and the wider the finger movement, the larger/faster the seek distance.

The alternative (static seekbar, like the v2 bar) is a more simple linear control from end to end (fully to the left moves to the start of the track, fully to the right moves to the end, and proportionally anywhere in between). Not so much help for precise navigation in longer tracks of course.

I have both bars enabled on the same screen (this is a skinnable feature, see the Skins subforum)

Andre

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The dynamic seekbar that was introduced as the default in Poweramp v3 was developed to operate in a similar fashion. Small movements scrub forward or back by short distances, and the wider the finger movement, the larger/faster the seek distance.

Then we've got a bug. Doesn't work for me. Samsung S7 Oreo build 823 Dark Skin Seekbar Style Default.

EDIT : Or do we talk about different things ? With the default seekbar, if I move my finger 1 cm the seekbar moves 1 cm. Withe the rotary control the angle that the control turns depends on the angle the finger moves, and if the finger a specific angle far away it takes more distance for the finger. I thought that was what @gdeff meant.

The default (dynamic) seekbar allows seeking by a few seconds with small movements, but whole screen width can cover around 50% of a track. I thought it was a progressive scale the more you moved your finger, but you are right that it does seem to be a linear range.

Andre

Archived