I had to reset my phone because it was having issues. So once I re-downloaded everything, of course I got the newer version of the app (and it sucks and loaded with so many issues!). 

So I downloaded the older one but the thing is, when I got the new one, my Playlists carried over. However when I put the old one back, they are not there? I even imported my settings but still nothing came up. How did the newer one save my Playlists (about 6 of them with about 50-100+ in each) and imported them but now it won't? 

Upgrading to v3 will retain playlists/settings from a previous v2 installation during the upgrade process. However it uses an updated database format, so downgrading is more of an uninstall/reinstall operation.

To retain settings and playlists, you need to first Export them (Settings > Library > Export Poweramp Playlists) which will create .M3U files than can then be read by v2 (or any other playlist-supporting app).

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I tried that and it still won't keep my Playlists. This app is garbage! Bluetooth doesn't respond unless you tell your phone to do so, keeps playing even during a call on any app, headset resume doesn't work. Wtf is this bs. I want to transfer my Playlist so I can get away from this headache. 

3 hours ago, BlazeX said:

I tried that and it still won't keep my Playlists.

If you exported your existing playlists before unintsalling / reinstalling the app, then then they should now exist as .M3U files on your device's storage (in the / Playlists/ folder). However, as you previously stated you wiped and reset your phone, that will of course have removed any internal (database) playlists that you may have previously created but not backed up, and if you did a full factory reset it will have cleared all user memory so even the /playlists/ folder will be gone, unless you had copied the contents safely off to SD Card. Same goes for settings. PA does not store anything on the cloud/etc, so if you fully wipe something, then unfortunately it is permanently gone.

3 hours ago, BlazeX said:

Bluetooth doesn't respond unless you tell your phone to do so.

PA cannot turn bluetooth on, you need to ensure you do that manually (and pair any output devices). Once at BT dcevice is connected though, PA will send its output via that speaker/headset. See PA Settings > Headset/Bluetooth for configuration options.

If you wish to return to PA v2, you are of course free to do so (just make sure you turn Updates for this app off in Google Play). See the sticky at the top of this forum for more details. However this will not restore anything that has already been wiped (internal, playlists, settings, etc).

Andre

Omg Ok let me just explain it better so you understand.

I had the old version and had all my playlists.  I then had to reset my phone and reinstall everything.  I got my playlists back somehow but noticed i have the new one installed.  This version has many issues and no fixes that I could find (why release an update with problems before testing AND it was fine with the way it looked, if it aint broke dont fix it?).

So I followed to install the old one, but of course all my playlists are GONE.  And it cant import because it says there isnt anything there.  BUt I put back the old one (because I need my playlists) and there they are!

What the hell man.

If you can see playlists in one version and they are absent in another - the difference is in Music Folders selection - as Poweramp looks for playlists + songs only in available/checked Music Folders. The playlist resolution logic is the same in latest v2 and v3.

2 hours ago, BlazeX said:

I had the old version and had all my playlists.  I then had to reset my phone and reinstall everything.  I got my playlists back somehow but noticed i have the new one installed.  This version has many issues and no fixes that I could find (why release an update with problems before testing AND it was fine with the way it looked, if it aint broke dont fix it?).

So I followed to install the old one, but of course all my playlists are GONE.  And it cant import because it says there isnt anything there.  BUt I put back the old one (because I need my playlists) and there they are!

1) v3 of Poweramp has been in development and testing for several years, including a beta program open to anyone either via this website or using Google Play which lasted for well over a year before being issued to the main userbase via Google Play updates about six months ago. There have also been more than 10 further updates (adding more features, catching newly-reported bugs, improving performance, etc) since the first official release of v3. The updating of the user interface to bring it in line with modern Material Design requirements was overwhelmingly requested by the userbase here in an open poll. However, as I said before, please feel free to continue to use v2 for as long as you want.

2) The second paragraph quoted above does not make sense. You "installed the one old" and your playlists were gone, but then you "put back the old one" and they were back? Could you clarify?

Are you talking about internal playlists here (i.e. ones you create within Poweramp, which are held in a local database that can get wiped if you do a factory reset of your device or uninstall/reinstall the app) or file-based playlists - such as .M3U files - which are permanently saved in your device's storage, and as long as both the M3U playlist file and the songs to which it refers are saved in locations which Poweramp is allowed to scan, they should survive a reset/reinstall. Check Settings > Library > Music Folders to ensure all of the locations you are using are ticked.

Andre

Honestly had no idea about the whole beta and such things, and the fact of how it looks is what the majority wanted, really??  Thats questionable, but there should be an option for people who prefer the old classic way it looks, you know, because ease of use and practicality instead of making things so fancy for no reason whatsoever.  But I digress.

Let me rephrase the last part because that was indeed a typo,  when I put the new one back on the playlists show up, but not when I put V2 on.  Only for V3, which is odd.  And yes I am talking about playlists I created within Poweramp. I dont use anything else. 

I checked the settings, only one folder is selected, and thats my music, period. How did the settings stay after I reset my phone and downloaded the V3 version, but then hated it, went back to V2 and the settings are gone along with everything else?

Also the bluetooth and wired headset doesnt work like it did with V2 how when you connected to either one it will resume playing or stop.  Instead for V3 it does nothing.  I have to unlock my phone and open the app to hit play twice because the first time it sits there and then it plays.  Again being fancy doesnt mean it works.  

All I want to know is how can I get my playlists back to V2 so I can get away from this mess?

For V3 and BT/wired headsets, check the settings in Settings > Headset/Bluetooth. You can configure PA to start playing upon connection if you wish, or wait until you  manually press the Play button.

Re: upgrading from v2 to v3. If the original v2 database files still exist on your device (i.e. you have not done a full factory reset, which would wipe out all of your user data folders, including Poweramp's /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/) then any v2 content will be automatically updated to v3. This is a one-way process though, reverting to v2 (by uninstall/reinstall) will probably not not load in any v3 databases or settings as it won't recognise the data.

If you can see your playlists within v3 though, you can use the Settings > Library > Export Poweramp Playlists feature to save any internal database playlists to file-based .M3U8 playlist files, which can be read by other apps (including Poweramp v2 of course). These will be saved in the system default /Playlists/ folder on your device's internal memory, so please make sure that particular folder is ticked in Poweramp's Music Folders list - or just copy all of the saved .M3U8 files onto your SD Card in the same folder where you store your music.

Andre

Archived