Shuffle being to broad.

stych

Shuffle Songs (presumably in the selected folder) shuffles all up to previous their folder.

Example: External/Audio/Music/

Music contains 20 separate folders and 798 individual audio files not in folders. In Music, shuffle should just shuffle the 798 tracks, not the full Music folder (1138 tracks).

My phone music collection hasn't really changed in years, in fact the folder hierarchy hasn't changed at all. This marks the first time shuffle has behaved like this, I find it rather annoying that I now need to create a new folder as a workaround.

Screenshot_2019-03-25-06-58-46.png

Screenshot_2019-03-25-06-58-53.png

The easiest solution would be the way I do it, which is to create a 'Misc' or 'General' folder inside the overarching /Music/ folder which would contain those 798 general song files. I call mine '(Misc)' by the way, so that the miscellaneous folder appears after the other folders in the sorting order. I do this inside all of my overarching category folders - Films, TV, Musicals, Radio, Songs, etc. In my Songs folder, I called my miscellaneous subfolder '(Singles)', as that's what it basically contains single tracks as opposed to whole albums. That way you could play all of your /Music/ folder fully randomised from the top level, or just the contents of /Music/General/ , or any other subfolders.

Otherwise, as you have commented, the shuffle system will shuffle all of the contents of the current folder AND of its subfolders together. If you have the  'Shuffle All Songs In Folder Hierarchy' option disabled, it would shuffle everything but folder by folder. 

Andre

4 minutes ago, stych said:

Why is this a setting and why is it defaulted to be ticked on? 

Because that's what the userbase requested.

If you press Shuffle when looking a given list view, the logical expectation would be that everything that  you can currently see will be shuffled (i.e. all of the files and folders on that page) which is what the new option enables. Max made it an option though, in case you prefer to play the shuffled contents of each subfolder one-by-one before moving on to the next one.

Andre

Archived