Bluetooth Controls Won't Work to Resume Song

mike50333

I've sent a separate bug report, but I figured I'd post my issues here just in case a solution has already been discovered.

So I previously had a problem where my BT headphones wouldn't function for track control after the 3.0 release, only for volume.  After doing some research, I found that some settings needed to be tweaked to allow for the BT controls to work.  And they do.  The song can now be paused, rewound, fast-forwarded, and changed both forward and back.  But for some reason, the (arguably) most important function, the ability to resume the track, is still disabled.  No matter what I try, once I've paused a song/track, whether via the app or the BT controls, the track will NOT resume unless I go into the app and hit the play/pause/stop button.

I'm using a Moto G5 Plus with a custom ROM (Firehound; I can't find which build number), and the BT headset I'm using is an LG HBS-900.

I'll happily supply any additional information required to try and solve this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

What command(s) does your headset issue when you press the Pause button? Some only send plain MEDIA_PAUSE, which PA interprets literally as 'Pause' and it will not resume playback, only pause it. Others send MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE (which is a toggle function, and PA responds accordingly). Other headsets manage the current playback state themselves and will send either MEDIA_PAUSE or MEDIA_PLAY depending on which result they want. You can see a log of the commands received by PA in Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

i'm facing the same issue with a Oneplus X using Unofficial LineageOS 15.1 and the Bose QC35 II.
I've checked the last processed commands and I've seen that only the KEYCODE_MEDIA_PAUSE is send.
With other music apps like Spotify, the default lineageos music app and others its working out of the box.

So maybe it could be a solution to add an option to also listen on the KEYCODE_MEDIA_PAUSE for resume? So that users can activate it if they have problems with resume?

Thx
eloo

1 hour ago, eloo said:

So maybe it could be a solution to add an option to also listen on the KEYCODE_MEDIA_PAUSE for resume? So that users can activate it if they have problems with resume?

That might be an idea for devices which (clearly) send the wrong commands. While Poweramp is perfectly correct in the way it behaves when it receives a PAUSE command, it would, as you say, be possible for Max to add an option where Poweramp could act incorrectly too and treat PAUSE as PLAY_PAUSE. Sometimes I guess, two wrongs really could make a right!

Andre

21 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

That might be an idea for devices which (clearly) send the wrong commands. While Poweramp is perfectly correct in the way it behaves when it receives a PAUSE command, it would, as you say, be possible for Max to add an option where Poweramp could act incorrectly too and treat PAUSE as PLAY_PAUSE. Sometimes I guess, two wrongs really could make a right!

Andre

I agree that this is a good solution.  While from a programming standpoint it may seem stupid to implement blatantly wrong functionality, it's inevitable that some devices out there (for some reason especially cars with early Bluetooth systems) that just don't say what they mean to say and assume that your phone will accommodate.  Nobody can update those devices to be right, so instead it can be easier to just update your phone instead.

Perhaps Max can implement this per-device, so only devices that are weird need to be switched to the "wrong" scheme so that if the user also has devices that are correct, they won't be affected.

Archived