Play in popup context menu

6b6561

Please add "Play" as an option to the popup context menu, should be easy as there is space available for it. This is really a killer for me, as I'm stuck on v2 on one of my devices, and I'm so used to the play in the context menu... I just wonder how many times I have gone into the context menu, just to back out of it. And to me it's not really intutive to have Queue but not play in the same place.

Capture.JPG

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that really miss the play button in the context menu.

The play button at the top of the list is rather pointless, as it only starts the play of the current vissible list and the button will be gone of screen if you have scrolled down in a list.

Kim

5 hours ago, glebsts said:

So weird that I have to go into folder to play it. Just updated to v3 and can't use my everyday's flow. 

The old workflow was first to long-press on an album title, then choose the Play option from the resulting pop-up menu.

The new workflow is to first tap on the album title (not long-press) and then tap on the Play icon.

I agree they are slightly different, but just as easy as each other (new method is probably slightly quicker as you don't have to wait for long-press to register).

However I can't see why Max can't put the Play icon back into the context pop-up menu, it wouldn't do any harm being there.

Andre

There is one more aspect to this.

I have my albums in a folder structure-

/music/artist/album 1
             /album 2
             /album 3

In 709 if I used the  context menu play on "album 2", then PA played the album and continued to "album 3".

Now when I have to go into the album in ordet to hit play, it will only play "album 2" without recursing into "album 3". This is a real killer for me, my comute by car to work is a bit longer than the length of a normal album, which means that at some point the music ends and I have to dig out the phone and get something else playing. I really miss the "automatic" recursing.

@maxmpI really beg you to give back the play in the context menu.

3 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

This is a real killer for me, my comute by car to work is a bit longer than the length of a normal album, which means that at some point the music ends and I have to dig out the phone and get something else playing. I really miss the "automatic" recursing.

When you have opened the songs list for the album, don't tap the top Play icon (which tells PA to play just that album) but instead tap on the first song in the songs list - or indeed whichever song you want to start with - to start playback at that point. As long as you still have the default 'Advance List' set as your Repeat choice, PA will continue on to the next album automatically when the current one is done.

Andre

The worlds largest thank you to you Andre! 'Advance List' was the magic that I where missing, I'm quite sure that the default play mode is set to "Repeat off". This solved my problem with music stoping after playing one album.

Kim

5 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

'Advance List' was the magic that I where missing, I'm quite sure that the default play mode is set to "Repeat off".

I thought Advance List was the default, but it's a long time since I've done a fully clean install. But yes, without that PA will stop playing after the current category/list, that is the intended functionality.

I never did really like the wording "Advance List" anyway, as not many users initially seem to work out what it means. :) Ages ago there was a discussion where Max said he would adjust the wording, and include a play one song option too (as there were lots of requests for that) but I guess it's still somewhere on the to-do list. I think the revised Repeat icon options were going to cycle through something like "Play Song", "Play Category", "Play All", "Repeat Song", "Repeat Category", "Repeat All". There was also some discussion of whether the word "Category" (or "List" as it was at the time) could possibly be dynamically replaced by the currently in-use mode - so the actual category wording would be displayed along the lines of "Play Album"/"Repeat Album", "Play Folder"/"Repeat Folder", "Play Playlist"/"Repeat Playlist", etc.

Andre

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Doelli said:

If not, the Developer should fix this. This issue really sucks!

Seems a bit of a non-issue to me.

Old method was to long-press on an album title, then find the Play command from a list of options and tap on it. So you needed one long-press and one short tap.

New method is to just tap on the album title (not long-press) and then tap on the Play icon - or tap the song you want to start with if you don't want to start at the beginning. So just two short taps, easier.

Andre

Archived