Jump to content
Poweramp
MaxOfS2D

[793] Shuffle songs is bugged in playlists

Recommended Posts

The queue (as a special exemption from normal playback) ignores Shuffle and Repeat modes, it simply plays the queued items in the order that you have asked it to, and then returns to normal playback afterwards.

Playlists however have always respected the shuffle/repeat modes, just like albums, folders, artists, etc do.

What do you mean by you can't select a song in a Playlist without it "jumping back to the very first song"? That doesn't happen for me, if I tap on a song in a Playlist it starts playing that song as I would expect. If Shuffle Songs mode is currently enabled, the rest of that playlist will continue the play in random order, until the playlist is finished or you manually adjust it.

When a Playlist (or any list) finishes, the next action depends on the Repeat mode. If Repeat is off, it just stops. If it is set to Advance List it will move on to the next list (which could be in order, or a random list, depending on what Shuffle mode you are using). Repeat List and Repeat Song are both pretty self-explanatory.

If any of this is not happening for you, could you explain a bit further what exactly you are doing and what results you see? Thanks.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

The queue (as a special exemption from normal playback) ignores Shuffle and Repeat modes, it simply plays the queued items in the order that you have asked it to, and then returns to normal playback afterwards.

Playlists however have always respected the shuffle/repeat modes, just like albums, folders, artists, etc do.

2

This is not how any version of Poweramp has ever worked. I've always added songs to my queue and selected shuffle and it has always shuffled them accordingly. If I try and play a playlist without adding it to my queue, then tell it to shuffle, it plays songs not in the playlist.

If I have songs in my queue, and shuffle is on, then go into the queue and pick the song I want to hear, it just jumps to the first song in the queue, not the song I selected. 

Example of how I have always used Poweramp since I bought it in 2011.

Pick the playlist I wish to listen to, add it to the queue, set it to randomize the song and start the queue over once it's finishd. This has always worked.

Now, I pick the playlist, add it to the queue, have it set to random and restart the queue over like it has always been, but now it plays the queue in order, and if I go into the queue and select a song to play, it just plays the first song in the queue, unless I turn off shuffle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, panamaklz said:

Bumping. Have the same issue. I always play my playlists on shuffle so I might have to revert back until this is fixed ?

Am I the only one who thinks this is a serious problem, that may require moving to a different, and in other ways inferior, player?  I cannot fathom why the option of shuffling a queue would be taken away from those, like me, who use it as their main way to listen to a large collection of music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Balooon said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a serious problem, that may require moving to a different, and in other ways inferior, player?  I cannot fathom why the option of shuffling a queue would be taken away from those, like me, who use it as their main way to listen to a large collection of music.

I've used Poweramp since 2011, have often looked to see what else was out there and never changed. I am going back to build 703 that I know works, if I'm ever forced to upgrade and it still acts like this, then yes, I will sadly be looking for a new player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IgKnight said:

This is not how any version of Poweramp has ever worked. I've always added songs to my queue and selected shuffle and it has always shuffled them accordingly. If I try and play a playlist without adding it to my queue, then tell it to shuffle, it plays songs not in the playlist.

If I have songs in my queue, and shuffle is on, then go into the queue and pick the song I want to hear, it just jumps to the first song in the queue, not the song I selected. 

Example of how I have always used Poweramp since I bought it in 2011.

Pick the playlist I wish to listen to, add it to the queue, set it to randomize the song and start the queue over once it's finishd. This has always worked.

Now, I pick the playlist, add it to the queue, have it set to random and restart the queue over like it has always been, but now it plays the queue in order, and if I go into the queue and select a song to play, it just plays the first song in the queue, unless I turn off shuffle. 

Me too.  I used to use the queue, set to random, as the main way to play music, and would add and subtract from it on the fly.  Now that's impossible, and that's a real problem for me.  I can randomize playlists that I've already made, but as for building a new one on a whim, V3 is flat out inferior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The queue is a special exemption that interrupts normal playback, it is not designed for regular music listening but more to briefly break away from a playback session in order to listen to something specific as a one-off task, then it will return to your normal playback session. However there was always an option in PA v2 to make the Queue respond to Shuffle mode (or not) and it would definitely be nice to have both options available for people who have got used to using the Queue in their own inventive ways. 

Playlists however are a normal playback category and they do obey the shuffle and repeat settings. They can be created and manipulated just as easily as the queue, but you can have lots of them and more control over how they play (and you can return to them later if you wish).

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IgKnight said:

If I have songs in my queue, and shuffle is on, then go into the queue and pick the song I want to hear, it just jumps to the first song in the queue, not the song I selected. 

I've just checked, and this occurs if your Shuffle mode happens to have been set to All Songs mode. It does not occur when PA is in any other shuffle mode, nor when the shuffle icon is turned off. That does indeed seem to be a bug, as tapping on any song in the queue should play it immediately.

Also, tapping the Shuffle icon while listening to the Queue seems to reset playback to the first song in the queue, which should not happen either (as shuffle should currently be completely ignored until regular playback resumes).

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems counterintuitive to me. Why would the queue ignore the shuffle? EVERY music player I have ever used shuffles the queue if you ask it to. I'm not about to go into Poweramp, go into my library of 800+ songs, skip around from CD to CD, or artist to artist and add songs to my queue for a 1 off play. I'm going to go artist by artist and add the songs I want to hear, shuffle it, then set it to repeat the queue. 

Every music program I have ever used, going all the way back to WinAMP 1 in 1997 has worked this way, if you have a playlist and play that list, it basically adds it to the queue to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IgKnight said:

This seems counterintuitive to me. Why would the queue ignore the shuffle? EVERY music player I have ever used shuffles the queue if you ask it to. I'm not about to go into Poweramp, go into my library of 800+ songs, skip around from CD to CD, or artist to artist and add songs to my queue for a 1 off play. I'm going to go artist by artist and add the songs I want to hear, shuffle it, then set it to repeat the queue. 

Every music program I have ever used, going all the way back to WinAMP 1 in 1997 has worked this way, if you have a playlist and play that list, it basically adds it to the queue to play. 

I completely agree.  How do we get Max to take some action on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...