Playlist sync issue

I am syncing playlists from my PC using Jriver to an Android phone. When I sync the playlist the music files show up in PA but not the playlists. Yes, I have selected the appropriate folders to scan in PA. If I open the LG music app that came with the phone, the playlist shows up. If I do a rescan or a full rescan in PA the playlist still doesn't show up. If I go into settings in PA and click on import system library playlists, it shows the new playlist, but makes a duplicate copy of all the other playlists. At first I thought this might be a compatibility issue with the type of playlists, maybe it still is. But, if I uninstall PA and then reinstall, all of the playlists show up and the duplicates are gone???? Hate to need to do that every time I add or change a playlist on my phone, but I can't find another workaround.

Pa maintains its own playlists. When you use another music app the android playlists show, not the pa playlists. You are doing the right thing by importing android playlists so these then exist in pa. Once imported you can delete them in android. When you reinstall pa, it rebuilds its own mediastore again so things look normal again. My app New Playlist Manager is able to show android playlists and Poweramp playlists which makes it less confusing. If your playlists are .m3u or m3u8 format, you can make these show up both in pa and android. 

With all due respect, and BTW this is a great player with really awesome sound. I just can't understand why this is a problem for your player. I have used other players like Black and it has no problem with syncing playlist. I move the playlist onto the phone from my PC and unplug the USB and it is there and ready to play. I shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall the app just to get it to see a newly added playlist. It's just crazy to me.

You don't have to unplug anything to see a playlist. As long as it has been saved in a location that Poweramp is set to scan for music, it should be picked up by the next rescan. Do you see the list but no contents, or not even see the list name?

Andre

A new .M3U file saved into one of the folders that PA is set to scan should show up in PA's Library > Playlists view. It will be empty until you open it, but the name should be there.

I wonder if the software you are using to copy the M3U files onto your device is not flagging the folder as having been modified, so Android does not know to update the contents? I've seen that happen when I've copied photos over from my PC, and the phone's Gallery app does not see them at first.

Could you try editing one of the playlists in a text editor and resaving it (just add a blank line at the end or something) and see if that makes it show up in the next PA scan. A phone reboot would do the same, but that's a hassle.

Andre

The software that I am using is putting the list on there as a PLA file. Which shows up and works fine on a new install of PA. It's not a device or Android issue because other players see the playlists fine. I understand the modify problem. If I change a playlist it's usually easier to just delete it off of the device and then put the edited version back on. That's not whats happening here. This is a new playlist that hasn't been on the phone before.

I wish you'd said you were using .PLA format in the first place. I could be wrong on the latest alpha versions, but I don't think Poweramp supports that format - from the spec, "support for m3u, m3u8, pls, wpl playlists". Hence the fact that you see them on first install (Android would have already read them into its own system playlists, and then Poweramp imported those system lists as a one-off process) but not later using Poweramp's own scanner.

Andre

Sorry, I didn't think it was that relevant since they showed up there on install I figured it was compatible. I don't put too much stock in the description because lots of developers add formats and list it in the changelog as they go, but but don't update the initial description as often. 

3 hours ago, Stevem87 said:

Sorry, I didn't think it was that relevant since they showed up there on install I figured it was compatible.

They only showed up initially because Android had already read them into its system library, and Poweramp fetches any system playlists at install/first run time and stores them in its own Library.

Try saving a .M3U formatted playlist (it only needs to contain a couple of filenames, with optional paths if needed, for testing) and see if that is picked up automatically.

Andre

Archived