Poweramp Data Migration to a new phone

Akanmu

Sorry if this is a question already asked and answered. I've had and enjoyed Poweramp on my Galaxy S4 for over 3 years now. I have lots of playlists, custom EQ settings and SD 32GB of music. I just bought a new Galaxy S7 edge, installed my 32GB SD, installed Poweramp (2.0.10 build 588 full version) with no problem but I will like to have all my playlists, album art and custom EQ settings from my now old GS4 . Simple easy step by step solution will be highly appreciated as I am no techie whatsoever.

You can export the main app settings and Playlists to files (from the Poweramp Settings menu) but there isn't an easy way to do things like EQs, ratings, cover art, etc. If both of your devices are rooted, you could use something like Titanium Backup to copy the data over.

Andre

16 hours ago, andrewilley said:

You can export the main app settings and Playlists to files (from the Poweramp Settings menu) .........

Sorry but how do I do that ?.  Please give me a step by step -I'm a complete novice on tech stuff. Thanks

Akanu,

if you are not a techie then I do not think your device will be rooted. (rooted is derived from root which is the administrator in Unix/Android).

You must ensure you export all your Poweramp playlists (and Android if you have these)  into m3u8 playlists. These are simply text files which hold all the necessary information for each track. 

How to export  playlists?

Poweramp Menu > Setting > Folders and Library > Export Poweramp Playlists

How to export settings?

Poweramp Menu > Setting > (under the Other heading) Export Settings.

As you have purchased a new device, it will most likely have the latest android version. What will happen once you upgrade is that Poweramp (and Android for that matter) playlists will all show 0 tracks. It turns out that Google have changed the Sdcard path into something obscure. (lots of posts on this on the forum). However, you have backed up all your playlists as m3u8. Normally you would need to edit these to reflect the new locations but my app (new Playlist Manager) is able to import these and recreate the originals as android playlists. Once recreated, you can import them into Poweramp.

It may sound complicated but it is quite easy to do.

The Poweramp settings, you import Poweramp Menu > Setting > (under the Other heading) Import Settings.

ps. my app also allows you to export android playlists to .m3u format

I hope this helps you out.

16 minutes ago, TheoKlink said:

Poweramp Menu > Setting > Folders and Library > Export Poweramp Playlists

Thanks for your help. My old phone GS4 is rooted but my new phone GS7 is  is not rooted so Titanium is out of the question.

I get the export part, I did that on my old phone GS4, it tells me 13 playlists have been exported.

Exported to where ?

How do I get the 13 exported playlists on to my new phone GS7 ?

Again sorry if all these are obvious.

Settings are exported to, and imported from, this location (and note the underscore in the folder name):

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/list.Poweramp-settings

Playlists are exported to: 

/storage/emulated/0/Playlists

Copy all the contents to your new device via a USB cable and your PC. The playlist files can be placed anywhere within your music folders that you like, but as TheoKlink has explained, if the path to the SD Card has changed in the new Android version, you might need to adjust the paths in the playlists (they are just text files, so a global search-and-replace in a text editor will fix them very quickly. Or use his app to do it).

Andre

Archived