Is upsampling a good idea?

wargnerm

Personally, I prefer not to upsample things unnecessarily. They can't get any better than the source provides. However not sure if they get worse.

(Photographs are a another matter - scaling a photo higher than its original resolution never really improves it, it just makes the imperfections bigger).

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Personally, I prefer not to upsample things unnecessarily. They can't get any better than the source provides. However not sure if they get worse.

(Photographs are a another matter - scaling a photo higher than its original resolution never really improves it, it just makes the imperfections bigger).

Andre

Somebody tried and seen good results from upsampling the audio files, but Pamp doesn't upsample the file itself, right? Also there is no sound when I choose 48 or 44.1kHz on the Hi-Res Output. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Filip777 said:

On HTC 10, while using Hi-Res output 24bit/48khz, when I play a Mp3 that is 16 bit/48khz (I have a lot of these), will Poweramp still upsample it to 24 bit

PA will upsample (or indeed potentially downsample) everything to whatever specific output mode you have defined in Settings > Audio. There is currently no way to change output quality settings on a per-file basis. I think this may be something on the radar for the future though.

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

PA will upsample (or indeed potentially downsample) everything to whatever specific output mode you have defined in Settings > Audio. There is currently no way to change output quality settings on a per-file basis. I think this may be something on the radar for the future though.

Andre

So I do get 24 bit after all, great. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There is no advantage to upsampling...there is a lot of confusion re this subject...but  Upsampling is process initiated  between a discrete signal and the conversion to a continuous (analog) signal. , handled by the reconstruction filter. Now....This filter might be designed to handle a certain sampling rate so...certain sample rates might need to be upsampled..but given that reconstruction filters are doing this already...intermediary upsampling is silly. Play the files at their native rate. If you need storage space, 320kBps is indistinguishable from redbook in *every * blind properly instituted test I've ever seen. Furthermore..people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

On 6/4/2016 at 4:25 AM, andrewilley said:

Andre

There are instances in which a DAC or filter may perform better at a given rate..but audibly? Nah. Upsampling is in its best use for things like mixing ...where there are lots of DSP/editing . but for end user? Not even worth worrying about. Redbook is more than adequate(Nyquist theorem still rings true)

Archived