Stream from phone to car stereo with bluetooth

stevewilson

I gather this is being done, but I can't figure out how and I can't find directions.  I'd really appreciate pointers.  I have all my music on my phone.  My car stereo is an android tablet, and it's already connected to my phone via bluetooth.  I have Poweramp (pro) installed on both.

Many thanks

Oh, I forgot to mention, the stereo DID start streaming music from my phone as soon as I had the phone and stereo paired, but whatever app the tablet is using for streaming is REALLY primitive - the screen it gives me has a play/pause button, a forward button and a back button, but it has no song information.  Not even the title of the song - never mind any album art.

Again, many thanks.

As long as your car stereo acts as a Bluetooth A2DP stereo device (not just a file sharing connection, or for mono phone calls) just pair it with your phone and start Poweramp and start the music playing, it should set to the currently paired audio device automatically. There are further settings in Poweramp Settings > Headset/Bluetooth which will help to send track info/etc to the Bluetooth device if it supports that.

Andre

Thanks.  Yeah, it worked like that before, but I replaced the stereo.  I never imagined that I was giving up something like having the song title displayed.  <shrug>  Probably what I get for buying a relatively cheap aftermarket stereo on Amazon.  Almost nothing works on it as advertised.

Oh well.  It just didn't work.  The music streams from my phone, and I DO see it on my phone, but I was hoping to see it on the screen of the car stereo.  I start Poweramp on the car stereo while it's streaming, and the streaming doesn't get interrupted, but Poweramp on the car stereo does nothing.  It just says "no file loaded".  I have no idea at all what app is controlling the bluetooth on that stereo.  It just says bluetooth.

Yeah, sorry, the music itself plays fine.  No track info shows though.  It DID last week, but I had the stereo that was in the car pulled and a new (supposedly better one) installed.  It DOES do some things better.  It has GPS and internet - (it's really just an Android tablet), but no track info on CDs or streaming.  I was just hoping to find a way around that.  Oh well..

If it makes any difference, the phone is a Galaxy Note 3.  The car stereo is generic though.  The sellers on Amazon won't say and there's no brand or model number listed anywhere I can find.

Is it possible to have Poweramp on the car stereo use a media library that's on the phone via bluetooth?  I mean, not necessarily playing on the phone - just residing there.

Thanks

You could install Poweramp on the car stereo and play directly from there. However you'd need to copy the files over to the local memory in the car for ease of use.

If the car stereo has Wi-Fi, it is possible to set up your phone to act a bit like a NAS, and then use CIFS to make that directory appear in the car-stereo's folders list, but it'd involve a lot of tweaking and configuring (and probably rooting) and it'd be easier just to copy the files.

Andre

Archived