Jump to content

Poweramp refuses to read certain ID3 tags


Recommended Posts

I'm presently using Poweramp build 581 on an LG G4, but I had the exact same problem on my previous phone, a Samsung S4, and have had the same issue with all builds of the program that I've used.

I'm a bit of a nitpicker when it comes to artists and albums all being tagged properly and organized nicely, and I've noticed that there are a few albums that Poweramp consistently refuses to recognize the ID3 tags for, and dumps them all into "Unknown album" by "Unknown artist".  I know for an absolute fact that these files are properly tagged, because I've manually entered them on PC, and if I plug my phone into a PC and look at the files on the phone all the tags are present and correct, but on Poweramp all the tags show up blank.


The stock music player on my new phone properly reads all the artists and albums, so I tried out a few other android music players, and all of them also have no problem reading all the tags, but none of them are as good as Poweramp otherwise.


I know I can manually enter tags in Poweramp, but that's massive pain, especially when I've already entered the tags on PC, and no other program has trouble reading them.

What up with that?

If it matters, one album in particular that Poweramp steadfastly refuses to recognize is Prologue by The Milk Carton Kids, and it also doesn't want to read the tags on a great deal of music by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, can't recall which albums in particular.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen this happen a few times before, sometimes it has something to do with the files tag formattings and version, I have found that one trick is to open the files in a program called "mp3tag" and resave (re-embed) the tags into them.


I also use this program to remove accidentally embedded artwork from my music files.


Note: The program works for basically any music format, not just MP3.


I hope that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have a specific file or files with bad tags that always cause this issue, please forward examples to poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com for testing.

In the meantime, try using a batch tag editor on a PC to see if that resolves the problem by rewriting the problem tags more correctly. I use TagScanner, but there are lots out there.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...