shuffle question

motomech10

• 2 weeks later...

I have/had the same issue. It seems to be a common problem with all music players, not just Android apps. Seemed like "Come Dancing" by The Kinks; "Freak on a Leash" by Korn & Zebra's "Who's Behind the Door" played every 3rd or 4th song, along with some others that I used to love till they played incessantly. Frustrating.  :angry:

I read on some tech site somewhere that you can "train" your player to look farther into your files. Don't yet know whether this will work in PA because I just started using this app about a week ago. 

What you do is every time a song is repeatedly chosen "randomly", advance to the next track as quickly as you can, Preferably in the first 2 or 3 seconds. It takes some time (a couple months) but then your player should finally start looking at some of the other files on its own.

I have on my phone 800+ songs & it seemed to work with the "default" player that I first used on my S4. I started hearing some deeper tracks. I was just getting used to not having to keep my finger poised over the screen when disaster struck. A couple weeks ago my 8 month-old Galaxy bit the dust due to a fatal hairline crack in the screen so I'm starting back over from scratch, this time with PA.

Hope this technique works for both of us.

Lotsa Luck!

M_D

According to Max, the Poweramp randomised shuffle should not pick up the same songs regularly, but I must admit that subjectively I've always felt that certain songs (and folders in fact) seem to get played multiple times, while others I've never heard. I know the nature of randomness means that can happen, but my ears keep telling me otherwise...

You do have Shuffle mode set to "All Songs" don't you, as otherwise you will get repetition as it will be shuffling albums/folders separately.

Andre

I have done a lot of this randomizing stuff before. I ran a simple test yesterday and using a single 10 song folder it looked OK. I will try and do a two folder Que sometime this weekend.

It looks like most of the people who are complaining have hundreds of songs they are randomizing. The programmers need to check for overflow errors (they will understand). These types of errors are easy to run into if you do not watch out. This can happen as the storage size (and song count) increases.

Got around to looking at a 2 folder, 20 song playlist and that looks fine.

Randomizing all songs is trickier. I do not have a grip on when it re-randomized the ALL SONGS playlist. It seems that there is one.

Then there is the question of how you are getting in the playlist? Advancing into it OR selecting a song from it?

I have a headache.

• 1 month later...

And those ten songs were nicely random each time you tried it, yes? Great.

The strange thing about multiple random selections is that coincidences can still happen. I recent had the same 30-minute radio show get picked two nights running (out of thousands of tracks), and a few days ago I was driving with Poweramp in random play mode and my daughter happened to mention a particular song from a TV show during our conversation, and by amazing co-incidence that was the next thing that played!

Andre

You can't prove that something is truly random just like you can't prove that someone is honest. You can prove that they are dishonest but the most you can say is "they appear to be honest".

I have about 40 Beatles songs in the 400 song playlists. That means that about 10% of the times a Beatles song is playing the next song will be another Beatles song. It might not seem right when it happens but it is.

Archived