ReplayGain

DarnJhud

• 6 years later...

Try starting at 0.5 dB of gain for whatever device you are using for playback, (headphones, external speaker, etc.) and just slowly increase the gain until you find a setting that works for your listening needs. I move the replay gain around a lot depending on if I'm rocking my headphones, or have my phone connected to my home theater amplifier, it varies a lot depending on my current situation. Happy listening! Hope this helps. 

All ReplayGain does is to 'level up' (or more often, down) any tracks which have the relevant tags embedded so that the peak levels on each track come out at about the same volume.

By default in the spec, the level it aims for is -14dB from digital maximum (to allow for headroom for further EQ/etc processing later) but you can adjust the target level if you'd prefer it a bit louder and do not use lots of EQ boosting. I'm not 100% sure what peak level PA aims for, but I think it's louder than the spec states.

The 'non-RG' gain value tells PA what to do with any tracks that don't contain any RG tags, so you can set the levels so the majority of your other tracks (often 100% max these days) to play at around the same volume that RG is targeting. 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Andre

Yes, I did say above that the music files need to already have the relevant data tags already embedded inside. Most decent music sources will provide this, but if not you can use programs like foobar2000 to update the files for you (individually or in large batches).

Andre

Archived