Quality of internal DACs vs external ones

Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Would someone here have any experience as to whether the use of an external DAC is really advantageous compared to an internal one, all other parameters ( sampling rate, bit depth, ... ) being equal ? I've got a Samsung A25 with a headphone jack, and the DAC builders promise that use of their products will yield superior sound quality in my headphones. The A25 supports 192 kHz 24 bit ( e.g. with Poweramp and output via AAudio, I made sure of that ) - might an external DAC sound better with the same digital signal as input, has anybody here ever heard a difference ? As I said, all other things being equal.

Edited by RiedRied

• Solution

I doubt you'll notice much difference. The cheaper UK/EU available ones are mostly really bad (very poor noise floor, so hissy). There are hi-fi ones that sound really nice though.

Might be worth considering some of the chi-fi products that are based on better chips such as CX31993 or CS46L41 DACs. Some discussion here:

Andre

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I doubt you'll notice much difference. The cheaper UK/EU available ones are mostly really bad (very poor noise floor, so hissy). There are hi-fi ones that sound really nice though.

Might be worth considering some of the chi-fi products that are based on better chips such as CX31993 or CS46L41 DACs. Some discussion here:

Andre

Thank you ! Then, as my A25 sports a headphone jack, it seems the most sensible thing to do is to use it.

Edited by RiedRied

46 minutes ago, RiedRied said:

Thank you ! Then, as my A25 sports a headphone jack, it seems the most sensible thing to do is to use it.

Unless you are a real hi-fi nut, I would definitely suggest trying that first before spending money on external DACs.

You may find that 'Hi-Res' mode (in PA Settings=>Audio=>Output) does not work on the firmware of your device - it doesn't on my A54, for example . If that's the case, try using AAudio for output instead. 

Andre

Actually, humans are really unable to sense these kinds of differences, I mean the difference between 3.5mm output and external DACs, unless there was a distortion (or background noise), which is what we talk about in the thread up there.

But if you can't hear the distortion, and the sound levels are pretty good to listen to, I think that would be enough for many of us.

Edited by Loweaul

On 6/20/2024 at 1:32 PM, RiedRied said:

I've got a Samsung A25 with a headphone jack, and the DAC builders promise that use of their products will yield superior sound quality in my headphones. The A25 supports 192 kHz 24 bit ( e.g. with Poweramp and output via AAudio, I made sure of that ) - might an external DAC sound better with the same digital signal as input, has anybody here ever heard a difference ? As I said, all other things being equal.

The question about sound quality always seems to illicit replies that don't always come with context.

Audio quality is like racing. You may want to just go faster (louder), or you may want to have great control for passing in the corners (detail). This comes with a cost. Throwing in a bigger engine might get you more power, but then you will need a better suspension and tires to handle it.

How this relates to your question about the internal DAC in your phone depends on what headphones or speaker system you are connecting to, how much power is needed to drive them at the level you want, and the quality of your music files. Often phone manufacturers brag about the DAC they use to satisfy the hi-res buzz word demand, but they don't mention what kind of amplification or power they build in.

Bottom line - if you are happy with what you hear, then that is what matters. But there are options available for DACs, amplifiers, and headphones that easily run into prices well north of what any Smartphone may cost. Only you can decide what it's important to satisfy for your taste.