Why is Poweramp unpausing when putting on my headphones?

I recently discovered that the specific action of putting my aux-connected Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pros (with no type of sensors mentioned in the manual) onto my ears causes the audio player to resume audio. This doesn't work when putting my headphones on any other head-sized object, and I'm just trying to understand the mechanism that Poweramp uses to detect that my headphones are being worn. This doesn't work on any other audio players, and it doesn't work to pause Poweramp. Is it using the headphone speakers as a makeshift microphone and detecting a specific decibel+frequency+duration combination? I can also activate this by lightly tapping both of my open palms over the back of wach headphone. I also recorded a video of this happening if anyone needs a demonstration, and I've ruled out shoddy cables and have tested it extensively with both cameras completely covered.

Your Beyers must be haunted.

But speaking seriously, there is no microphone in the headphones or cable, there's nothing to send any Bluetooth commands.

Screenshot_20240306-152948.thumb.png.3ab1975e4e2c81a8ea111eb51b2f8460.png

This is the only relevant control.

Anything else, you know who to call ...

@Fitzian That command does prevent it from happening, but I still don't understand how it would be triggered by me putting my headphones on. The headphones don't disconnect and reconnect super quickly, since that would cause other audio players to pause every time I put my headphones on. Here's a video that I took last night demonstrating the phenomena. Also sorry, I was on a ton of ketamine when I found this out so that's why I looked zonked. https://youtu.be/nbY8QSwD8mM?si=VDHIYOsUXtFsU2cN

Posted (edited)

The plot thickens. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros don't have an automatic play/pause function, but there is in fact a set of Beyerdynamic headphones that do called the Lagoon ADC

Why do my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pros have the functionality of a different pair of headphones? 

Edited by marmicet

@andrewilley Ok so it turns out that I am in fact getting log entries whenever this happens. My current hypothesis is that the person who sold me these could have swapped out the speakers with those of another heaphone that had a functionality that allowed pausing and unpausing.

Screenshot_20240306_151149_Poweramp.jpg

I was just about to say that even if a disconnection/reconnection was occurring, you should still see it mentioned in the log... but as you've just posted, that is indeed what you are seeing.

As to why so many connection events are occurring when you put on your headphones, I can't say I'm afraid. But turning off the Headset/Bluetooth=>Resume on Wired Headset and Pause on Headset Disconnect options should at least tell Poweramp not to respond to them.

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@Fitzian I think they are passive 250 ohm studio monitor headphones. They must have a microswitch inside that disconnects the cable wiring when not being worn, but I've never seen that in a passive device. 

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1990-pro.html

Andre

I was talking about the Lagoon ANC that OP thought may have been pilfered and transplanted into this particular set of DT1990s (which I already knew were passive studio monitors).

But yeah, nothing in the spec sheet or manual of the 1990s to suggest anything crafty like a microswitch.

MAN_DT1990PRO_EN-DE-FR-ES_A3.pdf DAT_DT1990PRO_EN_A2.pdf MAN_Lagoon-ANC_EN-DE-FR-ES-IT-SV-RU-JP-KO-ZH_A3.pdf DAT_Lagoon-ANC_EN_.pdf

If the transplant theory isn't correct, I think it must just be a super specific malfunction that miraculously ended up looking like a built-in feature. With a specific amount of force applied to the headset, a connector briefly disconnects, just long enough that Poweramp recognizes it as a disconnect, but is brief enough that the audio player itself doesn't pause and there is no noticeable break in audio through the headphones. Then the audio player resumes because it thinks that a headset was just connected through the aux port. This theory only works if it is possible for a disconnect to be recognized by a tablet, while being brief enough to not cause the tablet to pause it's audio output since the spotify and youtube (maybe it's just part of the OS) apps have a built-in "pause when audio device disconnects" feature that doesn't trigger when I put my headphones on.