Android Auto Interface - newbie

Lindsay

Hi all,

I just installed Poweramp after having some issues that I couldn't resolve using the Musicolet App.

I done a quick search for what I wanted to know but nothing jumped out to help, so I thought I'd just ask for help directly to my queries as the easiest solution.

This all relates to using the app 99% of the time in my car on an Alpine head unit.

1. How do I assign Poweramp to be my default music player in the car and to automatically start when I plug it into my USB input. (I don't "bluetooth" as I also want to charge the phone at the same time).

2. I like to occasionally adjust the bass/treble settings (not with the graphic eq but just a simple couple of clicks either way on bass or treble for songs - normally due to recording variations). How is that done easily? My preference would be to use the Alpine Units controls for this as they are very easy to access - but I fear this is not possible?

3. I also play "shuttle or random all of the time. How is this set up?

That's all for now to get me started to decide if Poweramp will work better for me and I can purchase the full version.

I have pretty simple needs and can't do "complicated". 

Thanks,

Lindsay

Even when using a USB cable connection, it's quite likely that the audio content will still be passed from your phone to the Android Auto headunit via Bluetooth (although that can vary for different headunits). There may be a setting in the AA controls to autoplay, or you can use the options in PA Settings=>Headset/Bluetooth.

Usually the headunit's volume/etc controls will still work when listening via Android Auto, so you should be able to adjust those via its own Audio Settings screen. You can also use the EQ page within Poweramp, but you'd need to do that from the phone rather than the headunit. You can also assign EQ presets in PA if you wish - for example so a particular set of EQ/tone adjustments trigger whenever your car is connected.

Shuffle modes won't be changed unless you select a new playback type - e.g. by tapping the 'Shuffle' entry at the top of an Android Auto list. You can also adjust the active Shuffle mode using AA's on-screen control buttons (note: the available buttons shown on the AA screen can be reconfigured using PA Settings=>Misc=>Buttons; you can't change the basic '<<' , 'Play/Pause' , and '>>' buttons, but the rest are configurable).

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

"Usually the headunit's volume/etc controls will still work when listening via Android Auto, so you should be able to adjust those via its own Audio Settings screen"

Nup, all I can control is the volume. PA lets me skip etc .... but Android Auto won't allow me to play through PA and then move back to Alpine bass/treble controls without completely getting out of PA 😞

6 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Nup, all I can control is the volume. PA lets me skip etc .... but Android Auto won't allow me to play through PA and then move back to Alpine bass/treble controls without completely getting out of PA

Two different things. Android Auto is just another source. It doesn't matter if the app is Poweramp, Spotify, or anything else.  The sound tuning settings of the car system is a separate function. No different on your Alpine than using the radio or Bluetooth inputs.

How you access the audio controls on your car's head unit is down to that manufacturer's design, it's nothing that Poweramp (or even Android Auto) has any control over.

On my Hyundai for example, there are Bass, Mid, and Treble sliders in the 'Equaliser' section of the 'Sound' Settings menu (which can be accessed via a physical 'Settings' button on the front panel, even while music continues playing in Android Auto). But that is more of a general setup feature, you probably shouldn't be changing those values on a per-song basis while driving.

image.png

Poweramp's equalizer system allows you to set up EQ 'Presets' - and even auto-assign them to particular albums, genres, etc if you want. But again, tweaking them is not something you should contemplate doing on-the-fly while driving.

Whatever happened to good old physical bass and treble knobs eh?

Andre