Poweramp for AndroidTV

ericg
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Hi,

Does anyone know if a version of Poweramp for AndroidTV has been considered? I have an XGIMI smart tv projector that I use to play my mp3/flac music collection on, and this would be a great app addition since there aren't many AndroidTV apps that can play mp3/flac files, and the ones available can't compete with Poweramp. I sideloaded Poweramp for Android onto the projector but haven't figured out how to get my pro license onto the projector, and the trail version has expired so now I constantly receive popup messages saying Poweramp is expired.

In case people here are not familiar with smart tv projectors, this is a great channel to learn about them: https://www.youtube.com/@TheHookUp. I have a Mogo 2 Pro and really like it, it's small and portable but has great sound and plenty of brightness for my purposes, partly because of the lack of internal batteries common to most portable projectors. I hate stuff and am minimalist, but at the same time want a home movie theater, and this fits the bill for me. 😛

Eric

Wondering if Poweramp for AndroidTV has been considered? I have a smart tv projector I use to listen to my music collection, and AndroidTV doesn't have many music players to choose from, and they are nowhere near as good as Poweramp. I sideloaded Poweramp for Android onto it, but am having diffficulty loading my pro license now that the trial has expired.

Eric

Edited by andrewilley
Topics merged

@ericg Poweramp works on Android TV if sideloaded. It works also on Google TV dongle and similar devices. The UI supports remote control/pointing device. As for distribution via Play - there are quite strict UI requirements, meaning a separate UI should be developed for TVs. May be it's relaxed now - I'll try to check. Thanks for the request!

On 12/10/2023 at 3:10 PM, maxmp said:

@ericg Poweramp works on Android TV if sideloaded. It works also on Google TV dongle and similar devices. The UI supports remote control/pointing device. As for distribution via Play - there are quite strict UI requirements, meaning a separate UI should be developed for TVs. May be it's relaxed now - I'll try to check. Thanks for the request!

Thanks maxmp. Hoping some day there is an androidtv version of Poweramp but for now I will buy the website license to be able to have the pro-/non-trial version on my smart projector.

I tried to import the Poweramp settings from my phone, but received a message saying 'You don't have an app that can do this'. Is there an intermediary app Poweramp uses to import settings that can be sideloaded in androidtv so that importing settings works? If I can't import my settings it's not a huge deal, the toggleable settings will be whatever they are by default and really the only setting I know I would like to change is to get rid of the background visualization (I prefer my interface to be have the features I use while also being as simple as possible).

On 12/15/2023 at 11:44 PM, ericg said:

Thanks maxmp. Hoping some day there is an androidtv version of Poweramp but for now I will buy the website license to be able to have the pro-/non-trial version on my smart projector.

I think if I can import my phone's Poweramp settings to my smart projector, there only reason to create an AndroidTV version of Poweramp would be so that the app would have a larger demographic than those of us who really appreciate and use Poweramp and have the technical experience and desire to sideload android apps in AndroidTV. I think most people won't have the patience or knowledge to deal with developer mode, wirelessly connecting to ADB, etc.. Though most Poweramp users are probably more technically capable than the average person who just uses Spotify or whatever to listen to music, it might be helpful for the demographic that has an offline music collection and wants to play it on their smart TV. Maybe a poll to help determine how useful and beneficial an AndroidTV version would help inform the utility of some day developing a smart TV version. There is definitely a lack of offline music player apps in the Google Play store for AndroidTV, and in that regard it seems like Poweramp could get a head start and become popular before this app niche is filled.

Got it to work. I installed Cx File Explorer for AndroidTV from Google Play Store then enabled app permissions for files and media, then I could load the settings file. Now Poweramp is set up exactly how I want it in AndroidTV. 👌