Problems recognizing files

Feanor_twh

Poweramp does not open the root directory of folders. Investigating I discovered that it is because I do not have the "Files" application installed (I use MiXplorer which is much more efficient).

I have tried reinstalling Files, but there is no way it works. The "Files by Google" app does not solve the problem either.

I have tried legacy support but it recognizes folders but zero files.

What solution is there for this?

I'm using Poweramp build-976, Android 11.

@Feanor_twh Also, just to check that you are not trying to grant access permission to a whole root location (either of your phone or an SD Card). You should instead be granting access to a specific folder (and thus all its subfolders too). But you do need the Android system file selector to be available in order to do that.

Andre

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Feanor_twh you need to restore system file selection dialog. Disabling this dialog means no folders can be added - it's like removing Open File dialog from Windows. Btw legacy file access will work on your firmware, but you need to reselect folders for this mode specifically. 

As I said, I can't restore the "Files" application because when I reinstall it it no longer works. The other four applications mentioned are installed.

As I also said, the legacy mode scans folders (all) but does not find files inside.

It's strange but on my previous phone, Android 8, I didn't have this application either (I used MiXplorer as the only file browser) and yet Poweramp worked without problems, and without legacy mode.

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

@Feanor_twh Also, just to check that you are not trying to grant access permission to a whole root location (either of your phone or an SD Card). You should instead be granting access to a specific folder (and thus all its subfolders too). But you do need the Android system file selector to be available in order to do that.

Andre

It is a folder located in root, and all subfolders are marked in legacy mode, but it still does not find any music files.

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

¿Ves la jerarquía de carpetas al estilo del explorador de Android cuando tocas el botón "Agregar carpeta o almacenamiento" en la pantalla Carpetas de música? Si es así, ¿qué sucede cuando intentas navegar a la carpeta deseada y tocas el botón "Usar esta carpeta"?

andré

Screenshot_20231203-141324.thumb.png.fd4a6b44f473c84ea330bb4febb1c68b.pngScreenshot_20231203-140957.thumb.png.3292ede2d42ba972358eedd637d60c69.pngScreenshot_20231203-141026.thumb.png.a9ff4d5a42ac375127a1376bba475adf.png

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

What phone is it by the way? And are you using the stock Android firmware from the manufacturer? The issue here is clearly the lack of a system Files process.

Andre

It's a Unihertz Atom XL, Android 11 (stock firmware).

I understand that the problem is that I removed that application (now I have tried to reinstall it but there is no way for it to work). What I don't understand is why legacy mode recognizes folders but not files.

I'm also surprised that so far Poweramp is the only app that requires that program, from what I've seen so far.

Will an older version of Poweramp fix the problem?

Edited by Feanor_twh

22 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Legacy Mode ought to work on Android 11. Not sure why it isn't for you (it just needs overall Media & File permission). I assume you've tried a clean uninstall and reinstall?

Andre

I just uninstalled, reinstalled, enabled legacy mode, granted file permissions, and again I checked the music folder, it starts scanning and detects many folders but 0 files.

I sent the log for the developer right now.

Edited by Feanor_twh

• 2 weeks later...

Solved

I finally managed to restore Files to its original location and then everything worked.

Although I am happy with this player and have been using it for years, it seems tacky to me that it requires that Files to work. This has not happened to me with any other application.