Poweramp ignore replaygain 2.0 tag

shuephei
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

I test 5 audio codec (flac, aac(.m4a), mp3, opus, vorbis(.ogg)), all of them have replaygain 2.0 tag. But replaygain just work for flac, mp3, and vorbis(.ogg), not for opus and aac(.m4a). I wonder why it is not work, because opus use vorbis comment same as flac and vorbis(.ogg), aac(.m4a) use ID3v2 same as mp3. I use rsgain to apply replaygain 2.0 tag.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Could you upload a sample of each format for which the RG tags are not being read. Note: Info/Tags only displays RG data for the currently playing file, not when viewed from song lists.

Andre

It was in "currently play", anw this is the sample:

E: Slightly different for aac, because rg tag got remove after I cut the audio, so I apply it again with rsgain and then have different value

sample.opus

Edited by shuephei

@shuephei for opus, Poweramp looks for R128_TRACK_GAIN/R128_ALBUM_GAIN metadata keys. These tags do not preset in the sample.opus.

Also opus standard states: To avoid confusion with multiple normalization schemes, an OpusTags packet SHOULD NOT contain any of the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK, REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN, or REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK fields.

This is why those tags are specifically ignored for opus

You're first here to request something else for the opus, so I'll add this to queue and if it's possible to add support for these tags without breaking standard opus replay gain approach, it will be added - thanks for the file!

As for aac/m4a - these are different formats. For AAC Poweramp will look for id3v2 or APE tags (and will read "replaygain_" tags), and for m4a - it looks into ISO atoms. 

39 minutes ago, maxmp said:

You're first here to request something else for the opus, so I'll add this to queue and if it's possible to add support for these tags without breaking standard opus replay gain approach, it will be added - thanks for the file!

Hope this will added in next stable releases

39 minutes ago, maxmp said:

As for aac/m4a - these are different formats. For AAC Poweramp will look for id3v2 or APE tags (and will read "replaygain_" tags), and for m4a - it looks into ISO atoms. 

But from ReplayGain 2.0 spec states:

.aac (Advanced Audio Coding raw format) – No metadata support (use .mp4 instead)

.mp4 also .m4a, .m4b, .m4p, m4r (MPEG-4 Part 14) – ID3v2 (in "ID32" box)

Edit: add lowercase tag to aac and it worked, sorry for trouble

Edited by shuephei

@shuephei It's always a battle to maintain compatibility while every other app is inventing/tweaking/updating the "standard spec" as it goes along. Most of these specs have grown in a somewhat ad hoc manner, and while ID3 and Vorbis are relatively well defined anything that came out of the Apple camp for example is often based on reverse-engineering.

Sometimes specs will quote upper or lower case for example, yet many writing apps will work a different way. Case-sensitivity always seems somewhat pointless in these areas, might as well ignore it to maintain the best compatibility with as much content as possible in the wild. 

Perhaps Opus should prioritise using R128_**** tags if they are present, but fall back to using FLAC-traditional REPLAYGAIN_**** if that's all that is found in the file.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I received email with subject "Did this answer your question?" and the message is a reply from @andrewilleyand @maxmpin this thread, the answer from me is yes and no.

Yes, I know now that Poweramp won't read ReplayGain tag for opus format, instead it read opus loudness normalization tag from opus spec which is kinda strange because the feature name is ReplayGain or Replay Gain to be exact.

No, I still don't know when this feature get implemented and/or bug get fixed.

Edit (for the umpteenth time): Forgot to mention that aac(.m4a) read lowercase tag instead of uppercase tag which is not "standard"

Edited by shuephei

• Solution

@shuephei the (next) build 979 includes parsing of replaygain_* for the opus tracks not containing R128_* tags. Previously Poweramp hasn't read it as this is non standard and specifically mentioned not to be read in the format specs.

It's not possible to guess in advance what are the actual tags used "in the wild" - before such tracks are committed for the investigation and for the ad-hoc solution. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this, I had the same question about replaygain for AAC (.m4a) tags. This was driving me crazy. I can confirm that changing the tags like REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN to lowercase replaygain_track_gain indeed fixed the problem. 

Is the final answer that we should convert AAC REPLAYGAIN_* tags to lowercase? That's non-standard, so it would be nice if we didn't need to do that.

18 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@pocatello Whlch build of Poweramp are you using? Max made some changes recently so it might be worth giving 981 a try (download from this website) if you are still using an older version.

Andre

Thanks for checking. I was using an older version. I updated to 981, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

Are your files .AAC or .M4A packaged? Max said earlier that these are different formats, so I wonder if case sensitivity still persists in one of them, or if whatever you are using the make the edits is also changing the tagging format?

On 11/24/2023 at 8:45 PM, maxmp said:

Hopefully Max can confirm anyway, as I agree it makes no sense to treat tag names as case-sensitive when it's pretty obvious what the actual intent is, despite what the various specs might say.

Andre

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'd like to add to this discussion:

The vast vast majority of my opus files, that have been RG-scanned by foobar2000, are not volume-adjusted by Poweramp. Poweramp reports their RG as +5 db, as if that's some kind of default. I don't understand it. A minority has RG values different from +5 db, and for those few, the volume is adjusted.

I tried re-scanning my music folders after having signed up for the latest/unstable builds in the Play Store. If I go to the change log, the top title is "Builds 978-981:", so I guess I have one those builds where the opus RG fix should be present already, going by the discussion in this thread. And yet... most of my opus files aren't being volume-adjusted. FLAC, mp3, and ogg all work fine.

The RG preamp works, for what it's worth, for all files including the problematic opus ones.

What should I do?

@maxmp  @andrewilley Hello Max and Andre, sorry for the delay, I had forgotten to enable email notifications, so didn't notice your reply until now!

First off, I must correct my earlier statement. The problematic opus files (most of them) DO get affected by enabling/disabling RG in Poweramp... but! They're always +5 dB, so some of them that would have needed e.g. +13 dB are really quiet, and some are super loud. You get the picture. Enclosing two example files that suffer from this problem - they have +2.75 dB and +3.82 dB scanned with foobar2000 v2.1.2 (Jan 2024). But somehow they're both +5 dB in Poweramp, as previously stated. Very grateful if you can figure this one out!

Oh and my Poweramp version is 981004-ed39e1a4, or just 981 I guess.

Masklin

test2.opus test1.opus

@Masklin Strange, although foobar2000 seems to show your stated +2.75dB and +3.82dB values, every editor/viewer that I've tried shows a tag name of "R128_TRACK_GAIN" but with content of zero - which would just apply your chosen RG Preamp value (which you can change in Settings=>Audio=>Replay Gain=>RG Preamp).

I wonder if the files are using header OutputGain values instead of that tag?  We'd need Max to take a look at the files in more detail anyway.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Andre