App volume control not working on my car multimedia

First of all, I want to thank you, it is a great app you built here...

Recently I installed new multimedia on my car plus a new set of speakers, subwoofer, etc. Where I live there is not a variety of choices and I had to go with a China build on Android 12. It works great but the built-in bass/treble compensation (so-called loudness) doesn't work as expected. It simply boosts frequencies and it doesn't care about the volume, so eventually they begin to hurt my ears while increasing volume. So I had to find an app solution that is more balanced and lowers the corrections of high and low tones on volume-up and vice versa.

Your app seems to do the trick perfectly (at least while I was testing at home on my phone). However, when  I installed it on the multimedia, I was ready to cry... the volume button could not control the tablet volume. I am still able to play with it, it does the sound corrections properly, however, there is no effect on the volume whatsoever... So if I increase the volume myself, for example, I have to adjust the position of your button manually to achieve the proper amount of bass and treble in my car:)))) 

It is already the second day that I have been trying to play with settings/dev options on the multimedia, but I am afraid I have no idea what to do...

Any input here would be highly appreciated, if I manage to make this thing work I will surely buy the app, there is no doubt about this.

Thank you in advance 

@Stefan74 not sure how exactly volume is implemented in your head unit, but for any issue related to volume, I would start with disabling Poweramp DVC (Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control) as the DVC relies heavily on the correct and Android-CTS-compliant volume implementation.

Disabled DVC will result in the reduced dynamic range (means bass will start to overload output earlier) - that can be compensated by applying appropriate negative Preamp.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is pretty much what I was doing before, using the volume button to limit the dynamic range (keeping it close to the max level). So there is no way to make it work normally on this device? I can send some specifications if this will help.

Thanks!

Just to say, the problem seems to be that the application does not read the volume state from the proper source in my multimedia. If you can add an alternative state reading this would fix the issue, the volume button won't be able to control volume, but it will auto change its position and the corresponding dynamic range will be applied. Something like currentVolume = (source1 || source2 || source3)   or you can put it as an alternative volume button setting somewhere if you think it will interfere with regular device readings. Just a suggestion :) I am pretty sure I am not the only one having this problem, it's just that not everyone is motivated enough to find your forum and to post here...

Can I just clarify here? First, you have the Poweramp Equalizer installed on your retrofitted Android car headunit, and the EQ app is correctly altering the audio output of media playing applications.

When you say the Volume does not work, are you talking about the device's own master volume control (does it have physical and/or steering-wheel buttons for example) or the knob in the second page of the EQ adjustment screens? Ideally both should change the same underlying Android media-volume setting.

Andre

Can I just clarify here? First, you have the Poweramp Equalizer installed on your retrofitted Android car headunit, and the EQ app is correctly altering the audio output of media playing applications.

Yes, that is exactly the case so far...

When you say the Volume does not work, are you talking about the device's own master volume control (does it have physical and/or steering-wheel buttons for example) or the knob in the second page of the EQ adjustment screens? Ideally both should change the same underlying Android media-volume setting.

Ok, I guess here I wasn't exactly clear enough - I do have "physical" sensor touch button on the media and one on my steering wheel, they both work perfectly. When I say that volume control is not working - I mean that the virtual button on your app does not "move" when I am changing volume from the physical buttons. Also when I try to "spin" your virtual button, it doesn't change the overall volume, however it adjusts the amount of bass and trebles like it is suppose to be.

This is exactly why I said that it is like the application is not reading the volume state from the correct source in my media.

BTW I am a programmer myself. From time to time I write my own apps using Java. I just checked and noticed this case:

Working with fixed-volume devices

Some devices (like Chromebooks) have volume controls but do not allow apps to use the AudioManager methods described above to change the level of an audio stream. These are called fixed-volume devices. You can discover if your app is running on a fixed-volume device by calling isVolumeFixed().

It would be interesting if this is the case we are dealing with in this situation...