Support for Icecast and Shoutcast Streaming

Raalapas

Icecast and Shoutcast streaming in Poweramp app  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Poweramp add support for Icecast and Shoutcast streaming?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

This poll is closed to new votes

I am kindly asking the Poweramp development team to consider adding support for Icecast and Shoutcast radio streaming within the Poweramp app.

It would be cheered by many users, it may sound old school feature, but I personally see it as a great way for music discovery beyond listening.

Suggestions for how Icecast and Shoutcast streaming could be implemented in Poweramp:

• Add a new section to the app's library for streaming radio stations.
  • Allow users to search for Icecast and Shoutcast streams by genre, country, language, or keyword.
  • Provide information about each stream, such as the current song playing, the genre and other tags/metadata.
  • Allow users to save their favourite streams for easy access.

Playback of Shoutcast streams (and various other forms) is already supported, just paste the full URL into the 'Add URL' menu option in the Streams Category.

Or if you want to build multiple curated lists of streams outside of Poweramp, just put the URLs into M3U playlist files.

Andre

@andrewilley @maxmp

That option we have, but inbuilt support would have it's own pros and I would say would be incomparable and competitive along with the ability to put stream urls too.

With inbuilt Icecast and Shoutcast radio stations would be more convenient, as  users can simply browse and select a station to start streaming, without having to manually enter a stream URL or create an M3U playlist. 

Icecast and Shoutcast directories have a wide variety of radio stations, from local community stations to international broadcasters. This is really helpful to discover new stations and music.

Also, inbuilt support can provide additional metadata, such as the station name, song title, and artist. It would be helpful to keep track of what we are listening as I use Pano Scrobbler and works perfectly when I stream Icecast/shoutecast in Neutron Player.

I suggested as I felt it's necessity. And having it within the Poweramp app would be a great experience 

Rest is on dev team as they are well aware of how it gonna be and what challenges to come.

Sooner or later I am ready to welcome this feature.

Thanks for your response

Raalapas

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

More like a Radio Player app rather than a file-oriented music player.

I don't think that adding built-in support for Icecast and Shoutcast streaming mean that Poweramp would become entirely a Radio Player app. It would simply mean that Poweramp users would be able to stream online radio directly from within the app, without having to switch to a dedicated Radio Player app or any other music player.

Also, adding built-in support for Icecast and Shoutcast streaming would not change the core functionality of the app. Poweramp would still be a file-oriented music player, and users would still be able to play their own music files from their local storage. Adding a built-in streaming browser would simply give users the option to listen to online radio directly from within the app. This would be a valuable convenience feature for many users, but it would not change the fundamental nature of Poweramp as a music player.

@maxmp please consider it

Edited by Raalapas