Menu wording, particularly translations

andrewz

Hi maxmp, it's andrewz here, the perfectionist who bothers you in the last few weeks with Czech translation 🙂 In these days, I'm testing my first draft of the translation within the app. That means that I learn more and more about Poweramp – I'm visiting deep menus that I've never visited and try options I've never tried before.

I noticed now (I'm talking about latest beta, I'm not sure about older builds) that touch targets of these sliders (first screenshot below, sections Background Details, Background Intensity etc. in Settings -> Background) are very small. When I want to change it with my finger, I miss it in like 50 percent of cases. Could you please enlarge these touch targets?

Screenshot_20230912-124400.thumb.png.32ff0729f39479474c0bb114e010b926.png

I would also like you to ask you to increase space (by decreasing padding? or by increasing box width? or by making more lines?) for strings on the screen shown below (Main Screen -> long press on the album art or short press on the menu button). I'm especially concerned about the "Lyrics" string. In many translations (Czech: Text skladby, Polish: Tekst utworu, Danish: Sangtekster), it's much longer (+6, +6, +5 letters) and does not fit. Since the same string is also used in other places of Poweramp unrelated to specific track, making the translation shorter (and less accurate) is a no-go.

Screenshot_20230912-122947.thumb.png.7e40a8ca6d23a52adf82a0680d11b87e.png

Edit: I would also like to remind this discrepancy I brought up on Crowdin, since it might be rather related to code than strings (and since Crowdin does not allow embedded images). I rather did not change anything in translation and I'm awaiting your statement.

Screenshot_20230903-121909.thumb.png.496c933b28ebcd0fad4bec5e0b7333b9.png

Thanks and sorry for bothering you!

20 hours ago, maxmp said:

@andrewz As for menu label widths - menu uses lyrics_short label, which is specifically shorter and fits menu quite nice.

If I'm correct, the same string from track menu (shown on my Moby's South Side screenshot) is also used in Settings –> Look and Feel. That is the problem. For Czech, translating "Lyrics" as just "Text" make sense in the first case, since it is clearly related to a specific track, but in the second case, it would be confusing and I would rather use "Text skladby" there. Making specific string for each case would also be solution, but app code would have to be changed.

9 hours ago, maxmp said:

@andrewz lyrics_short is used for that menu only. There is just "lyrics" label which is used anywhere else: https://crowdin.com/translate/Poweramp-player/6927/enus-cs?filter=basic&value=0#635052 - this one has no length limit.

I solved it for Czech. However, I cannot fix it for other mentioned languages, since I cannot speak these. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

The last thing that needs resolution is that song/songs discrepancy (my last screenshot). Will we go andrewilley's way?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 12:54 PM, andrewilley said:

@andrewz That would be up to the skin you are using. The two default skins use full-width anyway as the Lyrics and Settings buttons, if enabled, are overlaid over the album art area anyway.

Andre

I understand the state depends on selected skin and it's settings. Nevertheless, I find the current default skin imperfect in this regard. The strange thing is: when I align labels to the left ("default" instead of "centered"), labels are displayed over the entire width of the screen. I will probably stick to "default" now, although I would prefer "centered" with labels using the entire width.

Edited by andrewz

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2023 at 1:09 PM, andrewz said:

I noticed one more issue. There is a typo in Settings -> Look and Feel -> Lyrics -> Preffered Lyrics App:

Walkman Lyrics Excension should be Walkman Lyrics Extension (link)

Looking forward to next beta to test everything out! 🙂

Screenshot (1. 10.png

The typo is still present two months later in beta released recently 😞

• 3 weeks later...

Could you maybe add a few of the minor requested Re-sort options in there while you are at it? Just very simple stuff like Re-Sort By path>filename, and Re-Sort By Artist>Album>Track#. And also allow the 'Reverse' item, when ticked on its own, to reverse whatever the current order might be? Same for Playlists, which have the same extra gapping in their version of the Re-Sort menu too.

Andre

@maxmp  Excellent, I actually didn't know Reverse is now a stand-alone live action on existing content. I just tried it and it works fine now, I must have missed that one being added.

As for full-path sorting, I guess it should behave in the same way that filenames already do - so anything without a valid path/filename gets added at the end of a re-sorted list in simple alphabetical order.

And Track# sorting for the songs within Album groups (instead of forcing alpha by title) will definitely make a number of people happy, it's been quite a common request. And it'd fall back to alpha by title if there are no track numbers, so everyone should be happy.

Andre