Tracks no longer sort by date added to library.

Joe Gent

When i sort by file date modified/added or date added to library it no longer shows the correct order. On either of these options it just sorts the song title list in alphabetical order no matter which of these 2 filters I pick (and with reversed).

Edit: Forgot to mention that for some reason some songs I just added do not show up in the "all songs" list and only come up if I search each of them.

Device: LGV60

Edited by Joe Gent

The search facility can only look for items that are in the Library database. So if 'Search' find a song, it must be in the All Songs list somewhere (exactly where depends on the sort order of course).

If the Library got corrupted and rebuilt for some reason, then the entries for 'Date Added' will be the same, and so if everything is the same date then such a sorted listing would fall back to a second layer of using alphabetical sorting by Title. However sorting by filesystem modification date should still sort the songs by the time/date stamp on each file. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere within PA where either the date-added or the filesystem date are displayed to check this - you can sort by those values, but not display them.

Andre

On 9/12/2023 at 5:48 PM, andrewilley said:

The search facility can only look for items that are in the Library database. So if 'Search' find a song, it must be in the All Songs list somewhere (exactly where depends on the sort order of course).

If the Library got corrupted and rebuilt for some reason, then the entries for 'Date Added' will be the same, and so if everything is the same date then such a sorted listing would fall back to a second layer of using alphabetical sorting by Title. However sorting by filesystem modification date should still sort the songs by the time/date stamp on each file. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere within PA where either the date-added or the filesystem date are displayed to check this - you can sort by those values, but not display them.

Andre

I started to notice file date within the system file browser also showed this issue. When I added new files it did not list them as new. I am suspecting SD Card problems. I have just replaced with a new SD today and restored my audio files that I had backed up to a alternative storage location. But it seems this mounted card has a different root directory so PA is not recognizing it. I'm assuming Android automatically names the root as I had no way of creating this on either my old or current SD. Is there any way to make PA recognize the new SD root directory by modifying my existing playlists (they are native) without having to rebuild new PL's from scratch? 

Example of old file info: 0000-0000/MusicFolder/Artist-Track.mp3
Example of new file info: 123b-432/MusicFolder/Artist-Track.mp3

The native playlist still refers to the old root although i restored the exact folder structure and files on the New SD Card. 

Edit: Missing details.

Edited by Joe Gent

Update, looks like doing a "Full Rescan" in Library settings, then following up with "Rescan/Resolve Playlists" from my playlists has adapted successfully to the new SD Card. So my most recent issue is resolved, I will have to post an update later if I can recreate my original issue. 

5 hours ago, Joe Gent said:

I started to notice file date within the system file browser also showed this issue. When I added new files it did not list them as new.

If you copy files from elsewhere, they should normally retain the 'last modified' stamp of the source file - so they could appear quite old as far as the timestamp is concerned, that last time any changes were made to the file. in Windows (but not Android/Linux) Create date is different, and that will be the time/date of the moment that the copy operation actually took place. Some methods of copying files do not correctly retain the last modified details - e.g. the FTP facility integrated within Windows doesn't and the flag is set to the current time/date.

https://linuxopsys.com/topics/linux-file-timestamps

You are right that after reformatting, an SD Card will take on a new unique name in Android which PA may initially not recognise (can be fixed by re-enabling the new folder details in PA Settings=>Library=>Music Folders). A Rescan/Resolve Playlists will help if any playlists do not pick up the new locations correctly after a Full Rescan, as it ignores the root path information and only tries to validate the filename and direct parent folder name.

Andre