About .lrc file

Muhajier
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Hello, I have some questions about using LRC file

Embedded lyrics in tags work fine, it's just LRC files.

does Poweramp already natively support .lrc files for lyrics or do I still have to use the plugin ? PlayStore & This Forum's Topic

I use this app to obtain .lrc files, the app download the synced lyric (lrc) file correctly, but Poweramp does not read it / does not acknowledge that the song has lyric, what am I doing wrong?

I have checked the file, all the lrc file name, the [ti:] & [ar:] tag inside the file (opened with text editor) are the same with the song, but it still doesn't show up on Poweramp

the LRC file is in the same folder as the music file

I tried deleting the [ti] & [ar] also doesn't work

though the file has timestamps, like [00:16:01], I'm guessing it's for synced lyrics. Maybe it's because of that? I haven't tried removing the timestamps.

Edit : I checked with Samsung Music, the song & lrc file works.

@Muhajier Poweramp matches lyrics based on file name, tags, and duration ([length:]). Also the lrc file should be accessible for Poweramp - lrc file should be in one of the recognized music folders.

In your case most probably the duration of the song and [length:] value differs too much. This means lrc is for some other variant of the song and it shouldn’t be used - as text won’t match song anyway.

• Solution

I was just typing a reply to this when Max posted.

Make sure the LRC file option is enabled in Settings=>Look and Feel=>Lyrics. I would suggest removing all of the header fields at the start of the LRC file for now, and see if it then works. Once you can get it read, try adding the header fields back one by one. Maybe also worth trying a Rescan or even a Full Rescan to recognise the changed files.

But as Max has said, if the quoted "[length:mm.ss.xx]" info does not match fairly closely with the duration of the audio file (+/- a couple of seconds) then it probably shouldn't be used anyway as it's for a different recording or mix of the song, and the words would appear at the wrong times. If it's just an extended intro or similar, you might be able to use the "[offset:nnnn]" field (quoted in milliseconds) to adjust it to match again.  

Andre

it actually already works lol, the lrc never have 'length' attribute so it was never the culprit I think,

Apparently it takes quite a lot while before Poweramp can detect the lyrics, I rescan the lyric, the library, and even restarted the app but nothing. I leave it alone for a couple of hours, come back, and the lyrics now show up, no idea what's wrong lol

though when the lyric is embedded inside the mp3 file itself by writing the lyrics directly in its tag (I'm using AutomaTag) it's instantly recognized.

so.. yeah, it actually works but for some reason Poweramp just need time to detect the lyrics, this is only for .lrc files, if I edit the lyric tag itself, Poweramp can show it right away, if the lyric has timestamps, then it'll show up as synced lyrics.

Edit : correction, rescanning the whole library (All Songs > Three Dots > Rescan) make Poweramp show the lyrics immediately, apparently I just rescan in wrong category (sorry for that).

thank you

Edited by Muhajier
correction & additional info

@Muhajier Rescan does the same job wherever you do it from, it's not local to any given Category. It checks the whole of the Music Folders location(s) for any files which are marked as having been modified (plus new / deleted files). It should be fairly quick, usually just a few seconds. The Full Rescan process can take a while to complete with large libraries though, and you may need to leave it to run for tens of minutes if you have a lot of files or slow storage access.

Glad it's working for you now anyway, and I have no idea why it should take any significant period of time for LRC files to be noticed. 

Andre

@Muhajier I would add that LRC w/o length still should match based on other properties. Modified LRC is still touched/noticed/reparsed on scans. Full Rescan actually is not required for lrc to be noticed or re-parsed. As soon as normal (auto or just Rescan item from the list menu) rescan happens, new and changed lrc will be scanned and parsed (LRC icon may not necessary appear right away for the track - but attempt to show lyrics will succeed for such track).

The ability to re-parse LRC files automatically depends on the file and folder modification times (some firmwares and/or sd-card/usb filesystems may not support file modification time properly). The lyrics for the current track is cached, so if LRC was edited, track change and back is required to reload LRC in UI. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 1:23 PM, maxmp said:

@Muhajier Poweramp matches lyrics based on file name, tags, and duration ([length:]). Also the lrc file should be accessible for Poweramp - lrc file should be in one of the recognized music folders.

In your case most probably the duration of the song and [length:] value differs too much. This means lrc is for some other variant of the song and it shouldn’t be used - as text won’t match song anyway.

Can we show lyrics text in center alignment?