Social Queue / Party Mode

The idea is to have a "Social/Party Mode". This mode would allow multiple users to add songs to the queue and upvote or downvote on the current queue. This would be perfect for social gatherings, such as parties, where everyone can contribute to the music selection without having to rely on just one person to control the playlist.

• Queue Management: The app should keep track of the songs added to the queue and display them on bigger screens, with a way to add songs to queue.

• Up/Down Voting: Everyone should be able to upvote or downvote on the current queues songs, and it should display the number of votes for each song that move them up or down accordingly.

• Accidental Skipping Prevention: The app should prevent accidental skipping of the current song if someone tries to add a song but doesn't add it to the queue. The only way to change music should be the queue.

• Hide/Lock settings and not important menus and buttons.

• I think it would be enough to have it just on one "shared" device. Like a tablet with the app open for anyone to go to and add songs to the queue. But maybe even a way to connect via other devices (qr-code / link) to ensure only one up/down vote per person? I guess thats a lot more work tough.

2 hours ago, JimKnopf said:

The idea is to have a "Social/Party Mode". This mode would allow multiple users to add songs to the queue and upvote or downvote on the current queue. This would be perfect for social gatherings, such as parties, where everyone can contribute to the music selection without having to rely on just one person to control the playlist.

• Queue Management: The app should keep track of the songs added to the queue and display them on bigger screens, with a way to add songs to queue.

• Up/Down Voting: Everyone should be able to upvote or downvote on the current queues songs, and it should display the number of votes for each song that move them up or down accordingly.

• Accidental Skipping Prevention: The app should prevent accidental skipping of the current song if someone tries to add a song but doesn't add it to the queue. The only way to change music should be the queue.

• Hide/Lock settings and not important menus and buttons.

• I think it would be enough to have it just on one "shared" device. Like a tablet with the app open for anyone to go to and add songs to the queue. But maybe even a way to connect via other devices (qr-code / link) to ensure only one up/down vote per person? I guess thats a lot more work tough.

Interesting concept and pretty cool idea. However I don't know if this is really part of the core design of Poweramp. But certainly something that a dedicated app may be able to pull off.

I guess you are right, it is a very specific use case. But in its basic Form I dont think it would require too much of change. There already is a way to setup Poweramp to only add music to the queue. The remaining things are only to have a way to limit the ui to for example only show currently playing, the queue and a button which opens the library to add new songs. And an alternative "queue mode" which allows to upvote songs (every x seconds?) and adjust the order accordingly.

Is this something that could be implemented with a skin maybe? Or is there documentation on how to develop plugins/extensions for Poweramp?

1 minute ago, JimKnopf said:

Is this something that could be implemented with a skin maybe? Or is there documentation on how to develop plugins/extensions for Poweramp?

Not really, skins just change the look and feel of elements of the interface, they don't add new functionality. So you could hide a lot of the user interface items, but the basic control functionality would not change. Poweramp has no concept of multiple users anyway, and also no method of 'upvoting' other than by changing the overall rating of a particular song - which would not change the playback order of the Queue anyway, as the only way to rearrange the sogs in the queue is to use the 'Re-sort' menu option to physically re-arrange the tracks.

There is an API for Poweramp if you want to give writing a third-party app a try, but it would not be a quick or easy process:

I really do think you need to look for a different app designed for this purpose though, not an audiophile music player.

Andre