Can't play songs that have a title that begins with a number.

Aaron Caldwell

I have Poweramp version 945. Phone is Galaxy S22 Ultra. Android Version 12. After a recent update a few days ago, Poweramp can not play files that have a title which begins with a number (example: 01 Texas Sun). Album art is gone and it just goes to the next song that doesn't have a number in title. 

Screenshot_20221021-141017_Poweramp.jpg

Edited by Aaron Caldwell

16 minutes ago, Aaron Caldwell said:

Poweramp can not play files that have a title which begins with a number (example: 01 Texas Sun). Album art is gone and it just goes to the next song that doesn't have a number in title. 

This usually indicates that Poweramp was aware of that file in the library at some point, but now the file is moved or missing. This can be fixed if the same file is again found during a manual or automatic Refresh of the library scan. If the file is not found, it will stay listed this way unless you run a Full Refresh which deletes the existing library and builds a completely new one from the folder(s) you have set up in your Folder Selection settings.

12 minutes ago, Aaron Caldwell said:

Library is exactly the same. I didn't move or delete any files. Ran a Full Rescan and it didn't solve this behavior.

Can you find that file in a file browser app, and then use that to have it play in Poweramp?

28 minutes ago, Aaron Caldwell said:

What is strange is I can search these missing songs in Poweramp and play the song file fine. It's only within the playlist,  do they not appear anymore. 

So anywhere else in the library, the songs appears correctly with the correct tag info. It is only in a playlist that you have this issue? From your above screenshot, this is an external playlist file with the m3u8 extension. Does the playlist actually point at the exact same parent folder and filename? Again when you see Poweramp refer to the tracks with the filename instead of the correct track title, it usually means it cannot find the matching referenced song in the library.

When you see a filename only displayed in a Playlist, that means Poweramp can no longer find the associated audio file in your storage.

Load the source M3U8 file into a text editor and check the lines of the problem songs. Do the filenames and containing folder names match exactly with the relevant content of your music folders?

If they do match, try a 'Rescan/Resolve Playlists' in the Playlists menu.

Are you using normal or Legacy File Access Mode (in PA Settings>Misc)

Andre

Strange. Could you upload a copy of the M3U8 file here, and perhaps a screenshot of a file explorer view of the problem containing folder? I assume there aren't any special (e.g. international) characters anywhere in the folder names? Are all of these 'missing' items in the same folder, or scattered around different locations?

PA's Resolve process only needs to find an exact match for the audio filename and the first layer of containing folder by the way, the rest of the root path is ignored. And those paths must already be included in PA's Music Folders setup screen and have Android access permissions assigned, as the songs need to be present in PA's music library database for a playlist to find them. Perhaps you could also provide a screenshot of the filename/path details shown at the top of 'Info/Tags' for one of those songs (from one of main Library categories, not from the Playlist entry).

Andre

No special characters. The missing items are completely random. Different artists. I looked at the playlist info in a text editor and it is different then last night on a different computer. The files DO appear to be missing the folder for some reason, but on the phone you can see they are in the folder. Here are screen shots.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Screenshot_20221022-110201_My Files.jpg

The playlist screenshot above is missing exactly the same songs from the playlist text that do not show the folder.  This is why Poweramp is unable to resolve those tracks. If you add the folder name back to this playlist, they will be found and playable.

What software are you using to generate these playlists? Maybe there is something there that can be addressed to ensure all folders are shown?

I have thousands of songs I would have to manually add the folder name back some how. The irony is, the files reside in the correct folders, it just doesn't look like it from Poweramps end. The lists are corrupted or missing data. Like I said before, this all started a few days ago when I updated Poweramp. All these files were playing without issue and all appeared in my playlists which i used Poweramp to create (no external software). I appreciate your assistance by the way..same to andrewilley.

5 hours ago, Aaron Caldwell said:

I have thousands of songs I would have to manually add the folder name back some how. The irony is, the files reside in the correct folders, it just doesn't look like it from Poweramps end. The lists are corrupted or missing data. Like I said before, this all started a few days ago when I updated Poweramp. All these files were playing without issue and all appeared in my playlists which i used Poweramp to create (no external software). I appreciate your assistance by the way..same to andrewilley.

Is there any other media player using the same playlists on that device? Anything that could be accessing and changing those details?

Understanding that manually editing 1000’s of tracks is not feasible, can you do this for one or two of these and then see if Poweramp can again find those same playlists tracks?

At least that would confirm this is truly the problem. Then it comes down to finding out how and why these folders are being removed in the playlist. 

The insurmountable problem here is that there is simply no path information for those songs in the M3U8 file, so Poweramp (or indeed any other music app) will never be able to find them - well, not reliably anyway - unless the music files are in the same folder as the M3U8 file. What is the time/date stamp on the playlist file, that might at least give a clue as to when it was last written (which could be when the damage occurred). I'm assuming you don't have a master copy of this M3U8 anywhere else which still includes the path details? The existence of the #EXT-X-RATING lines indicates that this file (as currently shown) was created by Poweramp as it's an app-specific notation, so maybe you have an earlier version?

One set of circumstances that could cause a playlist to look like this is:

1. A playlist file is scanned into Poweramp (or a playlist is created internally in PA) and all the song files are tidily present in the Library database as expected. At this point, the songs in the playlist will show normally, with song info and cover artwork.
  2. Some song files later become unavailable - e.g. the folder path details have been changed, or filenames edited. Even if those new files get scanned in again, they will be as a 'new' items, so the old playlist will now contain orphan entries as the exact path/file that was originally referenced is now missing. At this point, any such playlist entries will show in PA as just the raw filename, with no info or artwork. The M3U8 file (assuming it was originally from a file) will not have been altered, so if the 'missing' files are later returned to their original locations, all will be well again.
  3. In this error state with some playlist files showing as orphans, you then export your playlists to new M3U8 files - perhaps to copy over to a new device. Newly generated M3U8 files which contain entries that had no valid path information will have those lines created as placeholder filenames-only, which is exactly what you are now seeing.

In such cases, the best solution would be to return to the source playlist content, when it did contain the relevant paths, as there is no way to re-invent the path info from the current M3U8 files.

Note: there is an app called Music Playlist Manager which I believe has a search feature to look through your entire storage trying to find audio files by names only. There's a good chance this would be mostly successful, although clearly there are cases where the name only might be ambiguous. But given your naming conventions that would probably be rare. (I'm thinking of cases where you have a live album and a studio album which both contain a music file with the same name for example, or several different movie soundtracks which each contain a file called "01 Main Titles.mp3")

Andre

MotleyG - The only other app that may have access is the Music Player Manager, but I haven't used it for a long time. It was used to help clear a ratings issue that is unresolved (every song in library has a thumbs up for some reason if I start applying a thumbs up to songs).

andrewilliey- Cant find a time stamp , but I do have and older saved playlist from earlier this year (i attached a capture of the old and new). I did add Leon Bridges Texas Sun (for example) and it show up on the playlist and, but the empty file and pathywat still exists in the playlist. Probably easist to uninstall Poweramp and the do a fresh install and import my older playlist?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Well first, all those "#EXT-X-RATING:5" lines are where your 'thumbs ups' came from, as that notation indicates a rating of 5-stars. If you only use the thumb system rather than stars, that is shown as a thumbs up. Change those to lines to '0' instead of '5' if you don't want them to show as rated (or turn off the Import Ratings feature in Settings=>Library=>Playlists).

The old M3U8 file ought to work, as long as (for example) the song file "01 Texas Sun.mp3" is still contained directly inside a folder called "Texas Sun". The rest of the original path - which had your Artist/Album folders, such as "leon bridges", stored at the root level of an SD Card - will be ignored, so don't worry that everything is now contained in a "Music" folder, PA will work around that.

So remove (or rename to .BAK) your faulty .M3U8 file and copy the old one into the same place instead. Then do a FULL Rescan. If you want to make really sure everything is cleared first (including any old ratings etc) reset the 'Music Folders' option in Settings=>Library to point to only a null folder (so zero songs are shown) and after everything has been cleaned, set it back to your "Music" folder again and let the scanner do its job.

Andre