Poweramp and USB DAC BT dongle issue

Darkaeden

Hello,

I have an issue to check with you.

I am currently using Poweramp on my new Hiby R6 2020, which does not support AptX Adaptive.

On the other hands, my Moondrop Variations are connected Bluetooth with FIIO UTWS5 which support AptX Adaptive (24bit).

I then purchased a small USB BT DAC capable of streaming in AptX adaptive, and indeed its led color is showing that, when attached and paired with the UTWS5.

Despite that, Poweramp is showing streaming at capped 16bit, with “No DVC” OFF, for Hi-Res USB DAC device.

If I switch ON “No DVC”, then 16bit became 24bit, but no audio is streamed.

(on the same philosophy, for both wired and direct BT connection, I had to switch NO DVC ON to raise the bitrate (and volume) for these two device, working fine with no problem, there is another thread on that in the forum).

Anyone can support?

Thanks

As stated in the other thread, DVC should probably be disabled for external DAC devices as a general rule.

I don't know whether @maxmp has any samples of your particular hardware combinations to test on, but as soon as you start working with non-standard Android devices (such as dedicated audio players with their own modified ROMs) and then add an external DAC or external BT driver, compatibility issues can (and most likely will) arise as soon as you start to move away from default audio modes and into the more experimental and hardware-dependent high-res features.

Andre

12 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As stated in the other thread, DVC should probably be disabled for external DAC devices as a general rule.

I don't know whether @maxmp has any samples of your particular hardware combinations to test on, but as soon as you start working with non-standard Android devices (such as dedicated audio players with their own modified ROMs) and then add an external DAC or external BT driver, compatibility issues can (and most likely will) arise as soon as you start to move away from default audio modes and into the more experimental and hardware-dependent high-res features.

Andre

I understand.

point is that here, if i switch NO DVC to ON, it switch to 24bit but no sound is streamed, eventhough the music is playing (can see the scroll bar and seconds running).

hope it can be fixed somehow.

thanks as always for the supportz

• 5 months later...

@Daniele Martire as you have BT device, DVC and volume related issues depend on Absolute Volume setting. See your Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control page, it explains it in details, also here:

"No sound" from BT device most probably means very low volume OR double volume applied (DVC enabled + Absolute volume is ON).

You need to raise volume on the device if Absolute volume is disabled. In this mode, both phone and BT device have volume controls. Volume on the phone should stay in middle range (not min nor max), volume on the device should be set as needed.

If BT device doesn't have apparent volume controls, you can't use Absolute volume in disabled mode, thus need to disable DVC in Poweramp.

DVC is not related to your BT codec. Codec is selected by Android BT stack and device, Poweramp can't control or modify this, it only shows the selected codec and parameters.

Some codec adjustments are possible either via standard Android bluetooth options (usually LDAC switch), or via Developer settings - where codecs can be switched, but the resulting codec is defied by phone + BT device compatibility/negotiation.

14 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Daniele Martire as you have BT device, DVC and volume related issues depend on Absolute Volume setting. See your Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control page, it explains it in details, also here:

"No sound" from BT device most probably means very low volume OR double volume applied (DVC enabled + Absolute volume is ON).

You need to raise volume on the device if Absolute volume is disabled. In this mode, both phone and BT device have volume controls. Volume on the phone should stay in middle range (not min nor max), volume on the device should be set as needed.

If BT device doesn't have apparent volume controls, you can't use Absolute volume in disabled mode, thus need to disable DVC in Poweramp.

DVC is not related to your BT codec. Codec is selected by Android BT stack and device, Poweramp can't control or modify this, it only shows the selected codec and parameters.

Some codec adjustments are possible either via standard Android bluetooth options (usually LDAC switch), or via Developer settings - where codecs can be switched, but the resulting codec is defied by phone + BT device compatibility/negotiation.

Thank you, this solved the direct Bluetooth connection in between my Hiby R6 and my BT Final ZE3000.

My issue remains if i want to use my Bluetooth USB-C DAC (aptx adaptive receiver) to get use of Aptx Adaptive of my ZE3000 (since Hiby R6 is not aptx Adaptive compatible per se).

I did some test, connected the usb dac to my Hiby R6 with the IEM paired to the DAC in aptx adaptive:

1) in PA if USB DAC is ON under HiRes, no sound get streamed, no matter if i switch NO DVC ON or OFF. I also tried to rise volume trough PA and also directly from my IEM (which bips, thus increasing the volume) but no sound it’s streamed. Also tried to disable Absolute Volume from developer but no sound get streamed.

2) in PA if USB DAC is ON under AAudio Output instead, if NO DVC is OFF, no sound is streamed, no matter if i rise volume on PA or by my IEM.

if NO DVC is ON, sounds get streamed (can change bitrate, cannot change kbps which remains fixed to 48khz) but i can control the volume only via touch buttons directly on my IEM (visually also showing increase of +-1 in Poweramp volume UI wheel). If i try to change volume from PA UI volume wheel, the volume does not change. How can i sync PA volume with the IEM volume via USB DAC?

note: i tried the USBC DAC with Hiby player, and it works flawlessly, no config needed.

Anyhow, for the test above with PA, Hiby player was disabled and forced stopped from Android to avoid conflicts.

thank you

Edited by Daniele Martire