Tracks completely break after rescanning

• build 905
  • Device: Poco F3
  • Android 11 (MIUI Global 12.5.3)

After adding new songs to my music folders, I go to "Recently Added", press the three dots to open the menu and select "Rescan". Now, there is a high chance of about 90 % of my files breaking. This means my playlists are broken, files dont play, all stats (how often did i play the song and the rating of the files, etc) are gone for those songs. I made a screenshot to show how a broken entry looks like.

The broken entries only show the file name, but no artist or album cover. Selecting the song shows "Failed to play, storage unmounted". Normal rescanning from the settings makes files and playlists usable again, but the stats remain gone. 

I am using another app to backup my stats and ratings, so I could observe this problem occur two times within the last month and its incredibly annoying, because my music collection has about 30 000 tracks. I was unable to actively reproduce it (i also dont really want to do it because restoring the backup is still a hassle and doesnt work well either) so i cant send a log file here, sorry

Screenshot_2021-08-06-11-36-43-512_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

"Storage Unmounted" is a bigger problem than just a rescan missing some files, it means PA isn't being allowed to access the file system properly (it might be able to see the filenames in the directories, but not be able to access the files fully to play or update the tag data). A rescan from any category menu is the same as a simple 'Rescan' from the Settings > Library menu, but is NOT the same as a FULL Rescan from Settings > Library.

Are the files on external SD Card or internal memory? If external, I'd suggest copying everything off the card and reformatting it then copy stuff back on. Also might be worth removing storage permissions and re-assigning them (and don't allow Android to revoke them).

I seem to recall Android 11 MIUI had some issues in this area anyway, but Max would be able to confirm the details.

Andre

okay i just experienced something weird that may explain this behaviour. I just tried deleting a file withing Poweramp and it asked me to grant it access to storage. I clicked on the button and it took me to the default android file manager, where i could press something like "Grant access" at the bottom. I had to confirm my choice and then got taken back to Poweramp.

No idea what the heck was that, because i could delete files before just fine but i just wanted to mention it

@The Timebreaker Has your Android version recently updated? Also Android 11 (and maybe 10?) can revoke permissions if it decides an app no longer needs them, so it might be worth removing all of PA's permissions in Android Settings, and then re-assign your Music Folders again as Max described above. See also 

Andre

@andrewilley nope, this phone has been running an A11 since i bought it, although i have been using that phone only for the last 2-3 months, cuz i bought it as a new device

The revoke permissions toggle is turned off and it has been that way.

And as I said, the legacy mode was disabled anyway. But due to another problem I deleted all app data anyway and let Poweramp completely rescan everything, which solved this other problem (duplicated file entries in one folder specifically), so I think its fair to say I also reassigned the music folders from scratch. 

Besides that, after skimming the thread you mentioned, i could imagine that device data transfer via google might have messed with Poweramp, because i also transfered the settings. I honestly dont know much, but i could think that this caused Poweramp to be able to play music, but because i never granted it actual Android 11 file acccess (my old phone had Android10); maybe that caused an error
Or maybe not and i should stop theorizing dumb stuff when i have no idea what im talking about

@The Timebreaker An Android 11 clean install should have the Legacy mode turned off by default anyway. If you had some previous installation on an older device though, Google may have restored the settings from its backup? Clearing app data in Android Settings for Poweramp would fix that anyway, and ensure that you really do have a clean start. Then you can assign Music Folders and permissions again.

Android firmware updates can still cause (or cure) issues though. For example the very first Samsung Android 11 releases had a bug related to initial scanning (storage not being available at startup) but that appears to have been fixed in their more recent OTA updates. 

Andre

• 4 weeks later...