Poweramp won't play continuously forever

MarsOrBust

I am trying to use Poweramp to play ambience music 24/7 in my business with a Samsung A32 phone with the latest updates casting to Nest Mini speakers.

The problem I'm having is that:

1. Poweramp randomly stops playing.
  2. The EQ settings randomly disables itself.
  3. The Samsung A32 randomly kills the apps.

We have also been testing Black Player using a LG Stylo 6 and that actually works 24/7.  However, Black Player doesn't have as good of an EQ.

How do we resolve these 3 issues?  Issue 1 and 3 are different.

We've already tried the steps from this website:

https://dontkillmyapp.com/

We have multiple rooms with different ambience music in each one, 6 total  We currently have 4 Android phones for each room.

Why does Poweramp not show up in here?

1. Settings
  2. Battery & Device Care
  3. Battery
  4. Background usage limits
  5. Never sleeping apps
  6. Click "+" and Poweramp is not listed to be able to select?

53 minutes ago, MarsOrBust said:

Why does Poweramp not show up in here?

It does (Samsung A70 with latest Android 11):

image.png

And adding it results in:

image.png

The EQ issue could be caused by a saved EQ setting for a particular song, folder, etc getting triggered. Remove any assigned EQs, or long-press on the Reset button in the EQ page and it should set everything back to defaults so you can start from fresh.

Andre

On 6/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, andrewilley said:

It does (Samsung A70 with latest Android 11):

image.png

And adding it results in:

image.png

The EQ issue could be caused by a saved EQ setting for a particular song, folder, etc getting triggered. Remove any assigned EQs, or long-press on the Reset button in the EQ page and it should set everything back to defaults so you can start from fresh.

Andre

Thank you Andre!

In order to get Poweramp and the Unlocker to show up I had to uninstall both and install both again.

Now, they both appear and I can set them to NEVER SLEEPING APPS.

However, there is still the issue of Poweramp not playing continuously 24/7.  It randomly stops.  The EQ also randomly disable itself.

May you please provide a solution for that?

Thank you!

SIDENOTE:

For others coming to here from Google.  Here is some information on our experience streaming audio 24/7 for a business or whatever purpose for ambience music.

We also experimented with streaming through Bluetooth to our speakers.  These were our results:

• Battery drains MUCH FASTER.  We have a smart switch that turns on every 4 hours to charge all 6 of our phones total  for 10 minutes.  Using Google Cast, the battery drains so little that the phones will eventually top off to 100%.  However, streaming using Bluetooth causes the phones to eventually go to 0% battery.
  • The audio quality is much better through Google Cast.
  • We use Samsung A32 and LG Stylo 6 phones.
  • We used BlackPlayer and Poweramp.  Poweramp has much better EQ features.  However, BlackPlayer does not randomly stop playing.  It will play 24/7 forever until the user stops it - WHICH IS WONDERFUL!!!  However, Black Player does not support Google Cast.

Ideally, we would love to get Poweramp working 24/7.

This is a completely unrelated topic = We implemented a smart switch controlling a power strip with all of the USB power adapters for interval charging.  This is totally not necessary but I am trying to preserve the batteries of these phones.  Ideally, I want them to drain to about 60% and then charge to about 70% using interval charging.  This keeps the batteries in the ideal capacity range and there's very little risk of overcharging or fire.  I don't know if keeping a phone plugged and charging 24/7/365 is a fire risk but this was easy to implement.

(Moved this to its own thread as it's not a build-specific item)

I think if I wanted something to play continuously, I would leave it plugged into the mains permanently to trickle-change - compared to powered speakers running 24/7, the power consumption difference would be extremely small. Or if you must use a timer, have it activate for 20 minutes every four hours rather than 10. Different audio output methods use different amounts of CPU and thus power (and hi-res would be even worse).

I don't know of any specific reason why PA should not be able to continue playing indefinitely - I assume you have ruled out Android device-sleep power saving actions? What happens when it stops, does the app crash or just pause playback in the middle of a song? To investigate this any further, I think you'd need to send a log file to Max (PA Settings > Get Support > Send Log > email to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com ) which you would need to do very soon after playback stops. You could also check PA Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands in case a pause or stop command is coming from somewhere else. 

Andre

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 2:35 AM, andrewilley said:

(Moved this to its own thread as it's not a build-specific item)

I think if I wanted something to play continuously, I would leave it plugged into the mains permanently to trickle-change - compared to powered speakers running 24/7, the power consumption difference would be extremely small. Or if you must use a timer, have it activate for 20 minutes every four hours rather than 10. Different audio output methods use different amounts of CPU and thus power (and hi-res would be even worse).

I don't know of any specific reason why PA should not be able to continue playing indefinitely - I assume you have ruled out Android device-sleep power saving actions? What happens when it stops, does the app crash or just pause playback in the middle of a song? To investigate this any further, I think you'd need to send a log file to Max (PA Settings > Get Support > Send Log > email to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com ) which you would need to do very soon after playback stops. You could also check PA Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands in case a pause or stop command is coming from somewhere else. 

Andre

Okay, I'll try to send you guys a log file.  Thanks for the tips!

@MarsOrBust Poweramp is tested time to time for the prolonged playback. I will retest that on the latest Samsung firmwares, as those seem to tighten background apps even more, though if dontkillmyapp recommendations are applied, player should not be killed.

Anyway, even killing the app shouldn’t disable eq. Does Equ button become disabled? Or is Equ button enabled, but equalization does not happen?