DLNA support?

I've been using the MediaMonkey Android app for a couple of years, mainly because I used the Windows App, but being a Linux user with Windows only on a VM, I've moved on.  So, I decided to again look into Poweramp, and liked what I saw.  However...

I was disappointed to find that, unlike MediaMonkey, it did not support playing to my Yamaha receiver.  Silly me, I thought it would, being how feature-rich it is, and a cheaper app supports it, not to mention Spotify. 

So, I saw a post saying this was planned, but that was a pretty old post.  Is this still planned?  If so, I'd like to put in my vote for it.  Otherwise, I will have to maintain two apps, which is kind of embarrassing since Poweramp really should be able to do this.

It's already supported via 3rd party plugins, but this is really for teach-savy users (as plugin configuration may be hard). The builtin in-app support is somewhat planned, but issues are like +8mb on APK size just for this feature, so I'm actively looking in something that will work well and not affect users which don't want this feature.

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

It's already supported via 3rd party plugins, but this is really for teach-savy users (as plugin configuration may be hard). The builtin in-app support is somewhat planned, but issues are like +8mb on APK size just for this feature, so I'm actively looking in something that will work well and not affect users which don't want this feature.

Thanks, I'll look into the plugins and see if it looks worthwhile.  I'm pretty tech savvy - I went from stereo repair and audio testing in the 80s, to software engineer  after that.  But I'm not current on a lot of details besides forgetting half of what I knew.  🙂

I just started using the app, so I'm not at all up on what's available.  I'll do some research now that I know about it.

9 hours ago, AudioTech said:

Thanks, I'll look into the plugins and see if it looks worthwhile.

I'm not aware of any DLNA output plugins having been created as yet. I suspect Max was saying that PA supports the facility for third-party developers to write them, rather than that any are currently available. 

Max: It always amazes me that Poweramp is as small as it is - even with all the recently added features the actual APK file is still only 10MB. Perhaps providing additional output support might be best handled via official plug-ins which users can install if they want, so they won't negatively impact on people with older devices and very little available RAM?

One relatively simple idea I had a while ago was would it be possible to create a simple shoutcast-style output plugin for PA, to act as a Shoutcast server to local devices? That way any device on the LAN which can receive shoutcast streams - so most modern amps, TVs, networked speakers like Sonos, etc - could be used as listening devices. BroadcastMySelf apparently does that from Android devices, so perhaps something similar could be implemented in Poweramp (maybe even via a plugin)?

Andre

Archived