Tags are not displayed although they do exist

emenDOmB

I'm using MediaMonkey to sync my music from PC to my phone. In some cases, Poweramp is not reading the Tags, altough they are in the file. If i open the Info/Tags of that song, i can see the Tags, but Poweramp is not displaying them. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Hi Andre, thanks for replying :)

I already tried that way several times, without success. Sometimes it's working when i try it some days later. But that's annoying to do a full rescan everytime i'm syncing some songs.
Music is mp3 and i'm using ID3 tags. When i'm moving the files manually to the phone, it's working without problems.

Also worth checking to make sure MediaMonkey is not tampering with the files during syncing (some sync programs have that ability) although if you see the data via Info/Tags then that's probably not the case here. A FULL Rescan should fix this sort of issue though, but if it doesn't you could try clearing PA app data and starting from fresh (remember to backup playlists, settings, etc. before doing that).

Andre

Once rescanned tags should stay. The incomplete tag information is possible if track uploading + Poweramp scanning is happening at the same time. On Android there is no (allowed without root or other hacking) way to know the file is completely uploaded. Poweramp generally waits about 20 seconds after the last file uploaded and scans changes. But if some file takes longer to be uploaded or if system triggers file update signals in a wrong time, it may scan the file before it's uploaded and get no tags.

This can be completely avoided by disabling Auto Scan in Library / Scanner or by just disabling System Media Scanner/MTP option there. You may need to hit scan from Library menu in this case when uploading finished. Also if you have such tracks already, use Full Rescan once.

Here i'm back again. I disabled Poweramp Auto Scan und synced my music with MediaMonkey. After syncing, i stopped the MediaMonkey Service on the phone and opened Poweramp. Made a manually scan for new music. Poweramp was detecting the new files, but take a look at the attached image. You can also see another problem i do have really often: Poweramp is using one cover for many other songs, even if they have their own cover attached to the file.

bb.jpg

Please could you upload or email from your phone a sample copy of one of the problem songs - e.g. "Lakeshore - Erased.mp3" - as it does seem that the PA scanner is simply not seeing any metadata in that file during the scan, and so just showing the filename instead.

Something else that worth trying is to reformat your SD Card (assuming your music is on a card rather than internal phone memory of course) and then copy all of your music folders and songs back over to the card manually via a PC card-reader or USB - i.e. not using any sync software. Then do a Full Rescan again.

Cover Art will be shown as per any embedded data that is present, or if none is found it will use downloaded or in-folder images. There are some controls in Settings > Album Art that can override this though, so it's worth checking they have not been enabled by accident. For more discussion on this, see:

Andre

Hi Andre,

i can show you that Poweramp is able to read the metadata, because if i open the Info/Tags page of that file, i can see the Metadata and also the embedded Cover Art (look at the picture).

Something else that worth trying is to reformat your SD Card (assuming your music is on a card rather than internal phone memory of course) and then copy all of your music folders and songs back over to the card manually via a PC card-reader or USB - i.e. not using any sync software. Then do a Full Rescan again.

Of course an option, but i think the problem will be still the same after i add new music. And for any reasons i don't know, after some days PA is displaying those songs with their embedded tags.

Cover Art will be shown as per any embedded data that is present, or if none is found it will use downloaded or in-folder images.

Good advice. MediaMonkey was syncing a Cover Art to the folder all the time. Disabled this function and now the songs were displayed without any Cover Art if they don't have any embedded.

b (1).jpg

I've checked the "Mountain View" file you sent me, and it contains a limited number of ID3 tags (Title, Artist, Year, Track-ReplayGain, cover art, and some encoding data) all of which seem to scan fine into PA's library - as can be seen ticked away at the top of your screenshot image in fact. 

Andre

26 minutes ago, emenDOmB said:

But it does not change the fact, that in the list view or player view PA is not displaying the tags 😕

Strange, your own screenshot does seem to show the metadata and cover image info for the particular file you sent me, as seen behind the Info/Tags box:
image.png

Does that content come and go after you do repeated rescans? If so, perhaps a logfile (Settings > Get Support > Send Log) just after you've done a Full Rescan might help determine why your device is not able to consistently scan metadata from these files correctly.

I still think a full wipe of the card and copy files back manually (and maybe even an uninstall / reinstall, or clear app data of PA) might help.

Andre

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Strange, your own screenshot does seem to show the metadata and cover image info for the particular file you sent me, as seen behind the Info/Tags box:

Meanwhile i changed something on that file and reuploaded it again. So after the first time PA did not detected anything, now it could read Artist and Title. But you can also see, that PA is not displaying the length of the song.
And the Info/Tag Box is not from the song Mountain View. It's another one, called Erased.

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Does that content come and go after you do repeated rescans?

Once PA is detecting the metadata correctly, it keeps it. In some cases it just takes some time after adding new music via MediaMonkey, until PA is detecting the metadata.
I can imagine that it have something to do with MediaMonkey, because adding the songs manually is working fine. But i don't know what the problem exactly is.

I will keep that wipe of the card in mind.

Edited by emenDOmB

• 3 months later...

Problem is still the same, but now i found a part solution. When new music is synced and not displayed correctly, i can move them from the original save folder on the phone to another one and then back. After that and after rescanned for new files, PA is displaying all new music correctly. So i think it is a problem with the scanner (like you said), but i tried all the steps for manual scanning 😕

@emenDOmB As long as the files are completely copied when PA spots them, you will see the metadata from their tags in PA's Library. If not, a FULL Rescan should fix it anyway. If it happens often, just turn the Auto-Scan features off and manually do a simple Rescan (from any of the library views) to update the database.

Andre