Songs missing from playlists

wus

The full rescan was what I already did to start with when I noticed the problem - see above. Back then I was not aware of the remove option in Settings > Library > Playlists, but I found it now - it was already enabled. Nevertheless I did another full rescan again - it did not solve the issue.

I then copied one of the shortened .m3u playlists file from the phone to my PC's desktop and opened it with Wordpad to see if it really lists all songs - it does.

Then I connected the smartphone to the computer and checked if all the songs are on the phone - they all are.

Looking which files are missing in Poweramp I noticed that the 3 files that are missing out of the 18 that they should be are the only ones with a format different from .mp3. They are 2 .ogg and one .m4a.

This is the playlist:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:213,Amon Düül II - Archangels Thunderbird
Amon Düül II - Archangels Thunderbird.mp3
#EXTINF:1173,Amon Düül II - Restless Skylight-Transistor-Child
Amon Düül II - Restless Skylight-Transistor-Child.mp3
#EXTINF:206,Birth Control - Gamma Ray
Birth Control - Gamma Ray.mp3
#EXTINF:184,Can - Spoon
Can - Spoon.mp3
#EXTINF:410,City - Am Fenster
\Daten\Musik\MP3\Deutsch\City - Am Fenster.ogg
#EXTINF:362,Dissidenten - Fata Morgana (88 Fata Dub Mix)
Dissidenten - Fata Morgana (88 Fata Dub Mix).mp3
#EXTINF:423,Eela Craig - A New Way
Eela Craig - A New Way.mp3
#EXTINF:701,Eela Craig - Indra Elegie
Eela Craig - Indra Elegie.mp3
#EXTINF:464,Eela Craig - New Born Child
Eela Craig - New Born Child.mp3
#EXTINF:629,Eela Craig - Selfmade Trip
Eela Craig - Selfmade Trip.mp3
#EXTINF:544,Frumpy - How The Gypsy Was Born
Frumpy - How The Gypsy Was Born.mp3
#EXTINF:584,Guru Guru - Der Elektrolurch
Guru Guru - Der Elektrolurch.ogg
#EXTINF:568,Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Kraftwerk - Autobahn.mp3
#EXTINF:223,Kraftwerk - Das Modell
Kraftwerk - Das Modell.mp3
#EXTINF:533,Kraftwerk - Die Roboter
Kraftwerk - Die Roboter.mp3
#EXTINF:689,Tangerine Dream - Invisible Limits
Tangerine Dream - Invisible Limits.m4a
#EXTINF:312,Tangerine Dream - Love On A Real Train
Tangerine Dream - Love On A Real Train.mp3
#EXTINF:156,Tangerine Dream - Rain Forest
Tangerine Dream - Rain Forest.mp3

I realize now that the title City - Am Fenster included a path that does not exist on the phone. However all other files, including the 2 other missing ones, are in the playlist without path, so should play from the same directory where the playlist is located: Music.

Next I removed the path from that one song in the playlist, saved it, and copied it over the the phone. This is how it looks now:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:213,Amon Düül II - Archangels Thunderbird
Amon Düül II - Archangels Thunderbird.mp3
#EXTINF:1173,Amon Düül II - Restless Skylight-Transistor-Child
Amon Düül II - Restless Skylight-Transistor-Child.mp3
#EXTINF:206,Birth Control - Gamma Ray
Birth Control - Gamma Ray.mp3
#EXTINF:184,Can - Spoon
Can - Spoon.mp3
#EXTINF:410,City - Am Fenster
City - Am Fenster.ogg
#EXTINF:362,Dissidenten - Fata Morgana (88 Fata Dub Mix)
Dissidenten - Fata Morgana (88 Fata Dub Mix).mp3
#EXTINF:423,Eela Craig - A New Way
Eela Craig - A New Way.mp3
#EXTINF:701,Eela Craig - Indra Elegie
Eela Craig - Indra Elegie.mp3
#EXTINF:464,Eela Craig - New Born Child
Eela Craig - New Born Child.mp3
#EXTINF:629,Eela Craig - Selfmade Trip
Eela Craig - Selfmade Trip.mp3
#EXTINF:544,Frumpy - How The Gypsy Was Born
Frumpy - How The Gypsy Was Born.mp3
#EXTINF:584,Guru Guru - Der Elektrolurch
Guru Guru - Der Elektrolurch.ogg
#EXTINF:568,Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Kraftwerk - Autobahn.mp3
#EXTINF:223,Kraftwerk - Das Modell
Kraftwerk - Das Modell.mp3
#EXTINF:533,Kraftwerk - Die Roboter
Kraftwerk - Die Roboter.mp3
#EXTINF:689,Tangerine Dream - Invisible Limits
Tangerine Dream - Invisible Limits.m4a
#EXTINF:312,Tangerine Dream - Love On A Real Train
Tangerine Dream - Love On A Real Train.mp3
#EXTINF:156,Tangerine Dream - Rain Forest
Tangerine Dream - Rain Forest.mp3

Then I did another full rescan in Poweramp, and looked again: the playlist now shows 16 of the 18 songs that it should play. Why does it not see all of them?

I checked again which songs are missing. This time, the first 2 songs were missing (both Amon Düül II titles). The other 2 songs which were missing before are now shown, although I did not change anything on them.

It really looks as if something is wrong here ...

As you say, an incorrect folder name in a playlist will obviously cause a song not to be found (as the path will not be valid) which you have successfully resolved.

As for the .ogg and .m4a files, there should be no reason those formats cannot be included in Playlists. They do need to first have been correctly scanned into Poweramp's master library though, like any other music files. Could you find these two songs in the All Songs list, and long-press on each one and select 'Info/Tags' to check that there is nothing even slightly different about the found folder or filename, and that the other tag data has been read correctly?

In PA, playlist entries are purely based on exact matches for folder and filename. The #EXTINF lines are actually ignored and could be safely deleted if you wish (although they should not cause any problems if they are present, as they are part of the M3U spec).

Andre

Poweramp uses last folder and file name to resolve songs. In your case no any path provided? 
On PC or other devices you can export playlists as is (with absolute or relative paths), but at least one folder in the path is required.

The poster said all of the audio files are located in the same folder as the Playlist file, so they should work as simple fully-matched relative links with no path information - which 16 out of the 18 files appear to do. We just need to work out what's up with the other two.

Andre

Thanks for your inputs.

It seems the file type is not the problem. This is only as it looked in my first try (list one above). After I resolved the misleading path issue from the playlist and did another rescan to update PA's master library, 2 OTHER files were missing (the 2 Amon Düül II titles). The previously missing .ogg and .m4a files showed up (please look up the second list above if you want to verify).

I then looked for these 2 missing titles from Amon Düül II in the All songs list and looked up their Tags, but did not find anything that looked strange to me - how about you? (I'm not sure what you mean by "and that the other tag data has been read correctly?" - which other tag?)

tempFileForShare_20200715-193121.thumb.jpg.18abab04c523d06f3348e2889351aec5.jpgtempFileForShare_20200715-193241.thumb.jpg.a28f0f7036d1ab6031a0dc4125719f37.jpgtempFileForShare_20200715-193723.thumb.jpg.41efe0e37e545c3ee5c65d21981d39dd.jpgtempFileForShare_20200715-193749.thumb.jpg.37c851ece00e623ec6bd1b64ca91bb88.jpg

Anyway it seems really strange to me that in one instance, these 2 files were shown in the playlist, while others were missing, then after a full rescan other 2 files are missing, while the previously missing ones are now shown, when I haven't changed a single bit on any of these files. To me this really looks as if PA's scan mechanism has a problem.

Again I verified that the 2 files are actually present in the Music folder, using the Astro File Manager - they are.

You have filenames there which contain non-standard ASCII characters. Normally you should use UTF-8 text encoding to ensure these are read correctly, but sometimes it's sufficient to just rename the .M3U file extenders to .M3U8 to ensure they are read that way (and rescan if needed).

Or as a test. just change the filenames to normal alphanumeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and some punctuation marks)

Andre

Thanks for your patience and for answering again and again.

I certainly won't change all the filenames (and tags) with Umlaut - that would cripple quite a number of the German artist names and song titles.

Changing the playlist extension to .m3u8 (and doing a full rescan) did not solve the issue.

I checked a couple other playlists that contain umlauts, none of the files with umlauts showed up.

I then looked through the settings again and found a setting "Always Use UTF-8 for .m3u" in Library > Scanner. It was enabled.

What else can I do or try?

So the problem is definitely the non-standard characters in your playlist files. Often playlists are saved as UTF-8 anyway (which uses two bytes rather than one to represent every character, so gives a much greater range of characters than regular one-byte ASCII) in which case a simple rename of the file extension often works. Can you upload one of the playlist files here (file upload, not just paste the text contents) so we can take a look at it and see what's happening?

You could also try turning the UTF-8 option off in Settings > Library > Scanner and adjusting the Tag Encoding mode, but I think a better solution would be to get the playlist files sorted out into full UTF-8.

Andre

I already had a look into Tag Encoding yesterday, but wasn't sure what to select, so I left it at default. Which would be the right setting that includes the special German characters? They are not only the umlauts Ä, ä, Ö, ö, Ü, ü, but also the ß (it's not a beta, we call it scharfes s, which means sharp s). This ß only exists in lower case.

Please find attached the previously mentioned Krautrock (18).m3u8 plus another one with more umlauts in file names / tags.

In case it plays any role: I create my playlists on a Windows PC using Winamp. They were initially saved in .m3u format from Winamp. After your suggestion I just renamed the Krautrock (18).m3u to .m3u8, but I also tried to save a playlist directly in .m3u8 format from Winamp - all to no avail.

Krautrock (18).m3u8 Deutsch (60).m3u8

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the late reply, Thomas. I changed the setting, first impression is good. Some problems remain, I'm just checking if they are related to Poweramp or faulty playlists.

Hey Andre, yes I did, and it did solve the problem! However a short while after this I got very busy with other stuff, so I did not look further. Later it did not come back to my mind, until Thomas reminded me. And his hint is actually the more useful one for me because it means I don't have to change every playlist.

Nevertheless I have to look into some. I found out that some are simply faulty, for various reasons.

In the meantime I also switched on the PC from using Winamp to foobar, which also revealed some faulty playlists.

In some instances I understand how these playlists could became faulty not resolve all entries, others look realy strange to me.

But that's another issue.

Thanks to all of you who contributed here!

Archived