Ineffective Music FX button - erratic UI behaviour

pawelb

On my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+, Exynos variant, Android 10, Poweramp build 861) the MusicFX button doesn't change the sound at all.

I noticed that to use system sound settings (Dolby Atmos, tone controls etc.) I have to disable DVC. However when DVC is disabled then system sound settings are in effect regardless of the state of the MusicFX button - pressing the button doesn't change the sound.

Similarly, when DVC is on, the system sound settings don't work and it doesn't matter if the MusicFX is on or off.  

Because of that the UI is somewhat erratic:

- I can enable the button regardless of the DVC state even if we know that the system sound settings won't work with DVC.     

- Regardless of the DVC state, switching the button on or off doesn't change anything.   

Can the UI behaviour be fixed?    

1. The easiest way of fix would be to replace the MusicFX button with a link to system sound settings. The link should work when DVC is off, when DVC is on the link should be greyed out. The link itself could be activated from within the settings (as it is the case with the MusicFX button now).    

2. The more complicated way of fix would be to disable (grey out) the button when DVC is on and enable the button only when the DVC is off - and making it actually switch the system sound settings on or off (if it can be done - I don't know).     

3. The third way of fixing it would be to change the button function from "enable or disable system sound settings" (that doesn't work anyway) with "shortcut to enable or disable DVC from within UI". Then if DVC is off, long pressing the button would take user to the system sound settings. If DVC is on, long press would not work or inform a user that system sound setting won't have any effect unless DVC is off.    

I think any of the options above would make Poweramp's UI slightly more coherent - I would prefer option 3. 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 4:52 AM, pawelb said:

Similarly, when DVC is on, the system sound settings don't work and it doesn't matter if the MusicFX is on or off.  

It's completely normal phenomenon. Jokes aside the DVC bypasses or ignores most (if not all) manufacturer sound effects.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:52 AM, pawelb said:

The easiest way of fix would be to replace the MusicFX button with a link to system sound settings.

Press and hold the button to get to system sound settings, if I get you right.

P. S. The malfunctioning MusicFX has been already reported in current release discussion thread.

The point is, the Music FX is a toggle control that doesn't toggle anything and is best used only as a link to system sound controls, that again, don't control anything related to sound output when Poweramp's DVC is on.

Thats not up to the standards of Poweramp's UI that otherwise is very thought off and coherent, hence my post and propositions above.

Archived