Poweramp not displaying playlists

sweetsensi1

I purchased Poweramp yesterday to play my playlists synced to my Galaxy S8 from Musicbee. I tried M3U format first and despite all the files being present on the sd card, Poweramp says there are no playlists. It sees all the music but no playlists. I then tried changing format to .PLA files. This time some of the playlist names were present in Poweramp, but none of them contained any songs. There is an option to create subfolders for each playlist on sync, but that would mean recopying my entire library, and I don't even think it would work. I've not seen anyone else with this issue in a few Google searches, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Dan

3 hours ago, sweetsensi1 said:

am I doing something wrong?

If you don't see the MU3 playlists at all in Poweramp, my guess is you've saved the files in a location that Poweramp has not been asked to scan for content. Check Settings > Library > Music Folders and make sure the playlist folder is ticked. You also need to ensure that the folder structure on your device matches the structure referenced in the M3U files (or at least the final folder level and filenames) but that would come after you at least get the playlists to scan.

Andre

Thanks for the advice chaps. I just restarted the phone and this time all the playlists appear, but they contain no songs. As you both suggested, I tried copying the Playlists folder to the folder where the music is located but that did nothing. Also, I have no option in Settings called "Library", only "Choose Folders," which I assume is what you mean? Also I have no option to "rescan" or even to tell it where to scan, only said "Choose Folders" option. How would I know what file structure would be required? The original Playlists folder that was synced is on the sdcard root, right next to the Music directory.

Dan

35 minutes ago, sweetsensi1 said:

Also, I have no option in Settings called "Library", only "Choose Folders,"

Then I can only assume you are not running Poweramp? Inside PA, tap the three-lines menu icon (lower right hand corner) and then tap Settings. You will see a whole load of settings choices, one of which is Library and inside that select Music Folders. That's where you tell PA which folders on which storage areas contain music and/or playlists. You can untick everything else.

Check the contents of one of your M3U files, it should just be a simple list of filenames with the associated directory paths. The root path is unlikely to match between your phone and your computer (definitely not in fact) but recent versions of PA are able to attempt to resolve this by looking at the filename portion plus the first level of containing folders in order to try and match the contents. Otherwise, you could edit your M3U files so the path info is completely correct for your device's directory structure: once you've worked out the necessary change it would be the same for every line, so a simple global search&replace operation for any decent text editor. PA only needs the actual path/filename lines by the way, any other lines starting with # can be deleted for clarity if you want.

Andre

OK I got it. I told PA which folders to scan. However, I was still getting no songs show up in the playlist. When I checked the M3U files they were all 0 bytes and didn't seem to contain any data. So I checked musicbee and for some reason they were exported as .PLA files. So I deleted them and re-synced and now all the songs show up in the playlists. Thanks for the help mate

Dan

Archived