queue options

pcalv

Hi

I would like to see more options for queues. In v2 I was able to stop playing music at the end of the queue.

In v3 the only options i have is for the queue is to repeat, or for it to start playing what was previously playing.

Can we have an option to stop music at the end of the queue please?

The option you refer to is stop OR repeat at the end of the queue. If you turn the main Repeat icon off in the player interface, then the Queue will simply stop at the end (or return to regular playback if you don't have the On Queue End > Stay in Queue mode enabled).

Remember that the Queue is not a playback category in itself, it is merely a way to temporary exit from normal music playback in order to listen to a few specific songs before returning to normal playback where you left off. Although a few people do seem to try to use it as a daily playback mode, that is not what it was designed or intended for.

Andre

1 hour ago, 7OH said:

can add one more thing to this request - after last queue song - it must NOT come back.

It must play song after last song (stay at last folder\playlist).

When the queue finishes, PA will play the song that comes after the final song it played in regular playback mode (i.e. the song that would have played next if the queue had not been started). All the queue does is temporarily interrupt normal playback to allow you to listen to something specific, and then it will resume normal playback exactly where it left off.

If you don't want that behaviour, don't use the queue but use a normal playback category instead - for example a Playlist.

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The option you refer to is stop OR repeat at the end of the queue. If you turn the main Repeat icon off in the player interface, then the Queue will simply stop at the end (or return to regular playback if you don't have the On Queue End > Stay in Queue mode enabled).

Remember that the Queue is not a playback category in itself, it is merely a way to temporary exit from normal music playback in order to listen to a few specific songs before returning to normal playback where you left off. Although a few people do seem to try to use it as a daily playback mode, that is not what it was designed or intended for.

Andre

Thanks Andre, that worked great. I had originally thought that option just restarted the queue.

FYI I find the Queue really useful for daily use. I drive around 3.5 hours a day so just queue up what i listen to in the morning for the day. I treat it very much as a temporary playlist which works for me.

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If you don't want that behaviour, don't use the queue but use a normal playback category instead - for example a Playlist. 

I just wanna see usual behavoir of end of queue from another players: Winamp, AIMP.

If player can remember last position and return to it - it in simple manner can just continue play from last song. Just a checkbox and "IF ELSE".

5 minutes ago, 7OH said:

I just wanna see usual behavoir of end of queue from another players: Winamp, AIMP.

PA is a different product, so may behave differently than others. Still not quite sure what you want though? By default, PA does remember where it was playing before you chose to listen to something else via the queue, and it returns to the next track in that original category once the temporarily queued items are finished.

Andre

1 minute ago, andrewilley said:

Still not quite sure what you want though?

Have You use WinAmp ? ;)

Example:

I listen Folder Rock1 and Song3.

Then I add to queue  Song2 from folder Instrum1.

Now - after end of queue it will play "Rock1\Song4".

Need - after end of queue it must play "Instrum1\Song3".

4 minutes ago, 7OH said:

Need - after end of queue it must play "Instrum1\Song3".

No, I don't use WinAmp, and PA does not aspire to be WinAmp. :)

You are correct in stating that the above won't happen though. Once the queue is finished, PA will forget about the queue completely as the queue is only considered to be a temporary interruption to normal playback. It will thus not continue with some arbitrary item just after whatever song the queue happened to finish with. If it did, what category song should be considered 'next' anyway, as the queue is merely a sequential list of songs, with no category grouping or sorting levels. Should PA continue with the following song in the Albums category, or the next item found in the same Folder, or the next song alphabetically by the same Artist, etc?

However if you do want to listen to a whole album's worth of songs via the queue (which seems to be your intent) you can easily do that by long-pressing on the album title in the Albums category list and adding it to the queue (rather than queuing individual songs) and then you will hear the whole album before the queue exits. It will still return to regular category playback after finishing all the items in the temporary queue though, and that is by design. 

Andre

22 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Should PA continue with the following song in the Albums category, or the next item found in the same Folder, or the next song alphabetically by the same Artist, etc?

Yes - just next to last from queue.

1 hour ago, 7OH said:

Yes - just next to last from queue.

But what is the next song after the last entry in the queue has played, as the queue has ended? The queue is just a series of isolated individual songs with no grouping levels defined. Poweramp has multiple category types which would each give a different "next" song - All Songs, Albums, Artists, Folders, Genres, Playlists, etc. In my world, the 'next' song would most commonly be the next audio filename alphabetically within the same folder, however your world may be different of course. There is no one answer to what is the "next" song in Poweramp, it is defined by the library category that you have currently chosen to listen to (and Queue does not have any concept of categories, it is a kind of temporary pseudo-category of its own).

Just wondering for what purpose you want this to happen by the way, in case there is a better work-around for you. Why are you not either adding all of the songs that you want to temporarily listen to into the queue?

Andre

8 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

But what is the next song after the last entry in the queue has played, as the queue has ended?

So.

1. When i press on current song - it open my current view.

2. PA know WHAT category i use now. And know where file is (can guess it get it from database). And know sort options.

Seems - it will not be problem determine where to go and what song will be next.

That might work. But PA already knows what comes next when the queue finishes and exits, which is wherever it originally came from.

I'm still trying to work out why you would want to continue playing some follow-on song that happens to occur after the last of a set of randomly picked queued songs. If you had wanted more songs to play via the queue, just add them in the first place. And if not, the queue is done and forgotten and PA should return you to regular playback.

PA is either in normal playback in a category, or regular playback has been temporarily suspended to hear the queue. They are two completely separate things. Why would you want to continue to hear queue-related music when the queue is finished and exited?

Andre

Archived