FLAC vs lossy sound quality

tedg65

9 hours ago, tedg65 said:

I never believed it when I had an Ipod but now that I use Poweramp on my Samsung/Android phone I definitely notice a difference in sound quality from FLAC files, especially on headphones...

Anyone else agree?

Compared to what ? 128 kbps mp3 ?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this make different opinion

I tried a flac and mp3 320kbps of kda popstars instrumental in power amp on my lg g7+

Now few things i noticed 

Simply playing with inbuilt amp on on 1more quad drivers i was not able to find any difference, output at 24 bit192khz

But switching on dts in flac gives a fuller sound with mild nuances that make the music feel powerful. Mp3 lacked those small low frequency kicks at end of instruments. 

Again may be my mp3 encode is bad but definitely a difference to the better

38 minutes ago, Gdpvk said:

But switching on dts in flac gives a fuller sound with mild nuances that make the music feel powerful.

What does that mean , "switch on dts in flac" ? Convert from dts to flac ? Dts is a lossless format, as is flac. Converting one into the other shouldn't change the sound at all, that's what lossless is for.

So I guess you activated some sort of what's sometimes called "sound improvement".

7 hours ago, blaubär said:

What does that mean , "switch on dts in flac" ? Convert from dts to flac ? Dts is a lossless format, as is flac. Converting one into the other shouldn't change the sound at all, that's what lossless is for.

So I guess you activated some sort of what's sometimes called "sound improvement".

There is a dts processing option in my and when switched it definitely increases sound stage feel. Not like the ones in pc like auditorium or the one in power amp. This processing somehow makes music sound some instrument played separately as in a different driver all together. 

When this separation happens in a 48khz output the spacing is less and gradually increases with output sampling till some level. Directly using 384kz output will loose many instrument nuances. Activating dts brings them back with a gain. Condition is u must have a flac. Mp3 320kbps doesn't cut it at this much processing. 

Just playing file ni difference but after dts processing is turned on with the hi res 24bit atleast 192khz u wull definitely feel difference. 

The delta in spacing feels close to sitting in front of 2.1 to properly placed 5.1

Again the change is as much i am nit saying uts 5.1 equivalent. 

I use this especially when trying to notice all possible different sounds used at any point in a song.

Its like when you get the music ost of game doesnt sound when hearing it in game. 

And this flac file with the dts processing and lg amp brings 80% of that back. 

Other example like dragon age Inquisition main menu theme etc

6 hours ago, Gdpvk said:

There is a dts processing option in my and when switched it definitely increases sound stage feel.

This option, where do you find it ? "In my ..." ?

I guess that you use another player which has some nice sound processing options.

From what you describe, perhaps you'll like stereo expansion and reverb in Poweramp.

In my phone, and there is a definite difference in processing while using mp3 and flac 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:34 PM, blaubär said:

There is a dts processing option in my and when switched it definitely increases sound stage feel. Not like the ones in pc like auditorium or the one in power amp. This processing somehow makes music sound some instrument played separately as in a different driver all together. 

When this separation happens in a 48khz output the spacing is less and gradually increases with output sampling till some level. Directly using 384kz output will loose many instrument nuances. Activating dts brings them back with a gain. Condition is u must have a flac. Mp3 320kbps doesn't cut it at this much processing. 

Just playing file ni difference but after dts processing is turned on with the hi res 24bit atleast 192khz u wull definitely feel difference. 

The delta in spacing feels close to sitting in front of 2.1 to properly placed 5.1

Again the change is as much i am nit saying uts 5.1 equivalent. 

I use this especially when trying to notice all possible different sounds used at any point in a song.

Its like when you get the music ost of game doesnt sound when hearing it in game. 

And this flac file with the dts processing and lg amp brings 80% of that back. 

Other example like dragon age Inquisition main menu theme etc

Capture+_2019-03-27-00-58-12.png

So DTS is a new audio format. Are your flac-files especially made for DTS ?

I found the following description :

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g7-dts-x-virtual-surround-sound-861225/

In a nutshell, DTS:X is a relatively new surround sound audio codec that’s designed to compete with the popular Dolby Atmos standard.

DTS:X offers up a number of features to improve your smartphone listening experience. First up, phones sporting the tech will be able to play video and audio files that support the format. DTS:X is an object-based audio standard, which means that sound sources are tagged with a location in a 3D space, rather than being pre-mixed into 5.1 or 7.1 channels. This includes new height or z-axis data.

These objects are then mixed down by the audio receiver on the device for the given speaker setup, or in this case, a smartphone, to give a surround sound output. However, in a phone we’re looking at virtual surround sound over stereo speakers or preferably headphones. DTS:X is also fully backward compatible with other DTS formats.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived