Tracks ignored in external playlist

institut

Hello

I'm using the great New Playlist Manager application to create playlist for Poweramp.
But there is a problem that can not be explained with the developer.
When Poweramp retrieves the playlist (in m3u format), some tracks are unknown to it (the number of tracks contained in the playlist indicated by Poweramp is less than the number of tracks contained in the playlist built by Playlist Manager.
On the other hand, there is no problem if the playlist is provided in m3u8 format.
I specify that all the tags have been checked and that they contain no special characters. These tracks ignored in the playlist are present in the Poweramp music folder which has no problem finding and reading them individually with its own search functions.
If anyone has ever encountered this problem ....

Then why not use the more comprehensive M3U8 format? It's identical to M3U in every way except that it uses a wider standard character set for saving the text file (UTF-8 rather than plain ASCII). Does simply changing the filename extension work by the way, or does the text file actually need to be re-saved in UTF-8 mode to make it work? An example of a file which creates this issue for you might be helpful.

Andre

Good idea, the simple act of manually changing the m3u to m3u8 extension works properly.
This does not explain to me why some tracks are ignored and not others while I have used the same input rules and there are no special characters that could explain the problem.

The Playlist Manager application offers two types of transfer: either in m3u or in m3u8. So personally, the fact that it works in m3u8 suits me. But it's interesting to understand why the m3u does not work, if only for the developer. Is the m3u transfer function of the application that does not work or is it a more general problem

As an example, I put here two files (François Valéry, Les trois ténors) that Poweramp does not recognize in a m3u playlist and two tracks that are well interpreted.
If you see something there .....

François Valéry - Une Chanson D'été.mp3

Aaron Neville - Tell It Like It Is.mp3

John Lennon - #9 Dream.mp3

Les trois ténors - All I ask of you.mp3

the m3u8 format is to make the file UTF-8 compliant. It places a BOM (Byte Order Mark) at the beginning of the file which tells the operating system how to interpret.

UTF-8 // The UTF-8 representation of the BOM is the (hexadecimal) byte sequence 0xEF,0xBB,0xBF.

A text editor or web browser misinterpreting the text // as ISO-8859-1 or CP1252 will display the characters  for this.

Read more here:

https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-byte-order-mark

5 hours ago, institut said:

As an example, I put here two files (François Valéry, Les trois ténors) that Poweramp does not recognize in a m3u playlist and two tracks that are well interpreted.
If you see something there .....

I see accented characters in both of the filenames that you say don't work, whereas you said there were none... As a test, try editing them to use plain ASCII 32-126 characters only (both the filenames and the entries in the playlist obviously) and see if that makes them work in plain M3U format. 

Andre

Bingo, you are right and we caught the explanation of the problem. 

It's actually a matter of accented characters. Without success I had already followed this hypothesis but only on the tags. It turns out that the problem lies simply on the file names. The tags can contain any accented characters  of the French language but not the file names, which is still a big disadvantage. Conclusion, the format m3u is not for the French and probably other languages. End of the story

10 hours ago, institut said:

Conclusion, the format m3u is not for the French and probably other languages. End of the story

To be honest, they ought to still work in M3U as most of the commonly used accented characters are supported within the extended part of the regular ASCII set (in the 128-165 region), but it would still be much better to play safe and use M3U8 anyway as that is designed for use with non-standard characters.

Andre

Archived