New User - Playlist Issue

phred

I've been using the trial version of Poweramp for a few days now and I really do want to like/purchase it. There's one thing keeping me from doing that at this point and it has to do with a playlist.

First off, my music (all mp3 tracks) is stored on my device at the following path: /storage/emulated/0/Music and the playlist is at /storage/emulated/0/Music_Playlists. Poweramp sees both and definitely recognizes the playlist. There are 97 tracks in the playlist and they are all on the device. Yet the playlist is only showing 26 tracks. I am currently 'auditioning' five other music players on the device and all of them show the complete playlist, so I know the data is correct. I have also manually checked with Notepad++ to make sure the path of all files listed in the playlist is correct, and (obviously) it is. I have deleted the playlist and copied back to the device again, but that didn't help.

Looking for clues to getting the complete playlist to be recognized. That's all I need in order to rest assured this is the player I want to purchase.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT - I just added a second playlist and its associated tracks and again Poweramp is only showing 26 tracks. Could this be a limitation of the trial version?

As far as I know there is no such limitation on the trial version, it's purely a timed trial.

Do any of the filenames or paths contain odd characters which might be confusing the system, or is there a common link in the files which don't display? Try making three smaller playlists via Notepad++ and see if all the tracks show up that way. Also try saving as UTF-8 (Unicode text) format and change the playlist extender from .M3U to .M3U8 and see if that makes a difference. 

Andre

Do any of the filenames or paths contain odd characters which might be confusing the system, or is there a common link in the files which don't display? Try making three smaller playlists via Notepad++ and see if all the tracks show up that way. Also try saving as UTF-8 (Unicode text) format and change the playlist extender from .M3U to .M3U8 and see if that makes a difference. 

Andre

Thanks for the reply Andre.  Some filenames have apostrope or parenthesis, but that doesn't cause any problem in Neutron or GoneMadd.  Notepad++ is writing the playlists in Unicode, but I changed the extension to .m3u8 anyway, but that didn't help.  I took the 97 track playlist and broke it into three smaller playlists (33, 33, and 31 tracks each) and that had a very interesting result.  While Poweramp showed the three playlists, each showed an incorrect number of tracks - 8, 8, and 10.  Which totals 26.  Which is what it was showing when the full 97 track playlist was loaded.  So, either something is wrong with the other 71 tracks, even though they all show in other players.  I don't have the time, energy, or ambition to look through all the tracks to try to find a common element, so I'm giving up on playlists on the phone.  I'll look for a free player that can shuffle, and save my real music listening to my iPod.  Yes, I'll have to carry two devices around, but I'm not spending any more time on this.

Again, I appreciate the attempt to help, Andre.

If you broke it down to 33, 33 and 31, it seems really odd that each one only showed the same limited number of tracks. Was it the same 26 tracks that you could see that you also saw in the full versions, and spread evenly through the playlists? Or did you see just the first 8, 8 and 10 files in each list? It seems very odd anyway. Would you care to upload the full M3U file here as an attachment in case there's something we can spot?

Andre

If you broke it down to 33, 33 and 31, it seems really odd that each one only showed the same limited number of tracks. Was it the same 26 tracks that you could see that you also saw in the full versions, and spread evenly through the playlists? Or did you see just the first 8, 8 and 10 files in each list? It seems very odd anyway. Would you care to upload the full M3U file here as an attachment in case there's something we can spot?

Andre

I didn't take the time to look to see if it was the first 8, 8, 10 tracks from each list.  Nor did I take the time to compare if it was the same 26 tracks from earlier.  I was rather disappointed and frustrated and had accepted defeat.  Nevertheless, I really do want this to work, so I haven't given up 100% quite yet.  I didn't see a way to attach the m3u to this post, so here's the full list:

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Hitsville USA/10 - Shotgun.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Funk Brothers/Standing in the Shadows of Motown- Deluxe Edition/1-07 - Shotgun.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bill Haley & His Comets/Original 45s/A - Rudy's Rock.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/25 Rockin' Instrumentals/14 - Honky Tonk.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/25 Rockin' Instrumentals/04 - Tall Cool One.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/25 Rockin' Instrumentals/07 - Rebel 'Rouser.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/25 Rockin' Instrumentals/12 - Tequila.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/25 Rockin' Instrumentals/20 - Wild Weekend.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Fuckin' Wonderful/1-12 - Beast Of Burden.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Hampton Coliseum VA Live 1981/08 - Beast of Burden.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Royal Teens/Original 45s/B - Planet Rock.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Live Licks/1-01 - Brown Sugar [Live].mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Live Licks/2-12 - Everybody Needs Somebody To Love [Live].mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Jump Back - The Best of the Rolling Stones/15 - Waiting on a Friend.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Billy Joel/Complete Hits Collection 1973-1997 (1 of 4)/1-08 - Just the Way You Are.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Van Morrison/Various Tracks/95 - Tupelo Honey.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Lou Reed/Various Tracks/95 - Walk On The Wild Side.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 25th Anniversary Concerts/46 - Jungleland.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bruce Springsteen/Various Tracks/95 - Dancing In The Dark (Live).mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bruce Springsteen/Various Tracks/95 - Dancing In The Dark.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Lady Gaga/Born This Way/1-17 - The Edge Of Glory.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Van Morrison/Various Tracks/95 - Into The Mystic.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Sticky Fingers/04 - Can't You Hear Me Knocking.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Live Licks/2-04 - Can't You Hear Me Knocking [Live].mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Billy Joel/Complete Hits Collection 1973-1997 (2 Of 4)/2-04 - It's Still Rock & Roll To Me.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Candy Dulfer/Saxuality/01 - Lily Was Here.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Billy Joel/Complete Hits Collection 1973-1997 (1 of 4)/1-07 - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Doors/Various Tracks/95 - Touch Me.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Mighty Mighty Bosstones/Live from the Middle East/20 - The Impression that I Get.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Funk Brothers/Standing in the Shadows of Motown- Deluxe Edition/1-01 - (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Coasters/Original 45s/99 - Charlie Brown.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Coasters/Various Tracks/99 - Yakety Yak.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Ray Charles/Various Tracks/95 - Night Time Is The Right Time.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Live in Rio 2-18-06/09 - Night Time Is The Right Time.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Stevie Wonder/Definitive Collection/05 - For Once In My Life.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Hitsville USA/61 - (I'm A) Roadrunner.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/The Commitments by the Originals/12 - In The Midnight Hour.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Hairspray/19 - Train To Nowhere.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Gerry Rafferty/City to City/01 - Baker Street.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Billy Joel/Complete Hits Collection 1973-1997 (1 of 4)/1-10 - Only the Good Die Young.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Various Tracks/99 - Green Onions.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Blow Man Blow/2-13 - Can't Sit Down.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Best of King Curtis/05 - Honky Tonk.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Platinum Collection/07 - I Heard It Through The Grapevine.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Platinum Collection/03 - In The Midnight Hour.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Platinum Collection/04 - Knock On Wood.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Blow Man Blow/3-11 - Shake.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Platinum Collection/14 - Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Platinum Collection/02 - Spanish Harlem.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Various Tracks/99 - Take Me Out To The Ballgame.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Blow Man Blow/2-10 - Tequila.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Various Tracks/99 - When A Man Loves A Woman.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/The Platinum Collection/13 - Whiter Shade Of Pale.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/King Curtis/Blow Man Blow/3-19 - You Send Me.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bar-Kays/Soul Finger/99 - Soul Finger.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/John Lennon/Lennon Legend - The Very Best of John Lennon/1-09 - Whatever Gets You Thru The Night.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Aerosmith/Greatest Hits/02 - Same Old Song And Dance.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Shine A Light/2-03 - Live With Me.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Aretha Franklin/30 Greatest Hits/02 - Respect.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Van Morrison/Various Tracks/95 - Moondance (Live 11.1.78).mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Ronnie Spector and The E-Street Band/Ronnie Spector and The E-Street Band/01 - Say Goodbye to Hollywood.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Carole King/Jazzman/01 - Jazzman.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Boots Randolph/Yakety Sax/01 - Yakety Sax.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/David Bowie/Young Americans/01 - Young American.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Simon & Garfunkel/Concert in Central Park/04 - Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rare Earth/Rare Earth Misc Tracks/01 - Get Ready (single version).mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Johnny and the Hurricanes Misc Tracks/01 - Crossfire.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Johnny and the Hurricanes Misc Tracks/02 - Red River Rock.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Lady Gaga/Born This Way/1-06 - Hair.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bruce Springsteen/Born to Run/01 - Thunder Road.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bruce Springsteen/Born to Run/05 - Born to Run.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bruce Springsteen/Born to Run/08 - Jungleland.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Clarence Clemons/Hero/05 - The Sun Aint' Gonna Shine Anymore.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Grateful Dead/Oakland Auditorium 12-31-82/06 - In The Midnight Hour.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Grateful Dead/Oakland Auditorium 12-31-82/03 - Tell Mama.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Tower of Power/Monster on a Leash/06 - Funk the Dumb Stuff.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Bruce Springsteen/Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J/08 - Spirit in the Night.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Ed's Picks-  6 Months of Music; Some of it Good/298 - Money.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Clarence Clemons/A Night with Mr. C/03 - Shotgun.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/01 - Boppin' at the Bop.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/02 - Night Train.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/05 - Side-Track.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/07 - Big Guitar.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/10 - Honky.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/13 - Huggin'.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/21 - Deacon John.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Great R&B Instrumentals/24 - What's Happenin'!.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Rolling Stones/Sticky Fingers/01 - Brown Sugar.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Joe Cocker/Mad Dogs & Englishmen/04 - Sticks and Stones.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Joe Cocker/Mad Dogs & Englishmen/10 - Let's Go Get Stoned.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Joe Cocker/Mad Dogs & Englishmen/18 - The Letter.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Keith Richards and The X-Pensive Winos/Live at the Hollywood Palladium, December 15, 1988/03 - I Could Have Stood You Up.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Eric Clapton/Eric Clapton/1-01 - Slunky.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Delaney & Bonnie/On Tour with Eric Clapton/08 - Little Richard Medley – Tutti Frutti-The Girl Can't Help It-Long Tall Sally-Jenny Jenny.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Jim Pepper/Pepper's Pow Wow/01 - Witchitai-To.mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Four Seasons/Greatest Hits/07 - Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me).mp3

/storage/emulated/0/Music/Various Artists/Glory Days of Rock 'n Roll/12 - Come Go With Me.mp3

Thanks.

I suspect it's a red-herring that there are 26 apostrophes / single quotes in that list (as some filenames include more than one). And all of those filenames referenced exist in those exact paths, yes?

It should work, I have playlists with at least a hundred tracks in.

Andre

Yes, the paths are correct because the other music players are showing all the tracks in the list.

I guess I'm not giving up entirely.  I'll create some new playlists of varying numbers of tracks and see what happens.  The trial is what, 10 days?  I'll experiment until the trial ends and make a decison. If you think of anything else, by all means let me know.

Thanks.

I think I've got the issue resolved.  When I started this current round of looking for a decent music player, I created two new folders - Music and Music_Playlists.  But the other day I discovered there was a Playlists folder that must've been created some time ago.  I moved the playlists from Music_Playlists to Playlists and all the tracks are now showing up in Poweramp.  I'm still not 100% convinced this is/was causing the problem and I will a couple of more playlists and tracks to the phone tonight and tomorrow and see what happens.  If this works, then I'll be purchasing the full version as soon as the trial ends.

Archived