Compressor

jwdiana

First off this is a great App. I purchased it and use it everyday. It has many great features including headphone detection and delete.

One feature I would like to see is a compressor whereby one could set it so that soft songs and louder songs would sound about the same volume so as to keep from fiddling with the volume control.

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the feedback. The replay gain support is planned, though, it's not the compression, but it's much better as it doesn't require pretty complicated configuration of compressor (which will never work well for some tracks).

Also, automatic preamp limiter is also planned for equalizer, though, this is mostly to avoid bass overamplification and the distortion.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the feedback. The replay gain support is planned, though, it's not the compression, but it's much better as it doesn't require pretty complicated configuration of compressor (which will never work well for some tracks).

Also, automatic preamp limiter is also planned for equalizer, though, this is mostly to avoid bass overamplification and the distortion.

As you say, replaygain is not compressor.

Please do compressor. My classical tracks are too quiet to hear the quiet parts when I'm driving the car, but the loud parts are quite loud enough.

Compressor would solve this problem. The compressor could configure by sampling the microphone during quiet parts and between tracks to measure the ambient noise.

Maybe the compressor won't work well for all tracks, but without it there is no reason for me to buy Poweramp. I aim to buy the first decent player that has this support, or the first audio-filter that provides it.

• 1 year later...

I will revive this topic with another request for an compressor. Replaygain or other normalization schemes are NOT the same as a dynamics compressor. They will only adjust the loudness of the track. A dynamics compressor is able to alter the dynamics of a song, so quiet and loud parts will be at closer volume. This is a really, really useful feature for a portable audio player, I'm currently immensely enjoying the feature in the rockbox audio player, and it's one of the main reasons why I haven't moved from my Sansa Clip+ to my Samsung phone for music playback. Please consider adding a dynamics compressor to Poweramp.

• 2 years later...

What I would like would be a Compressor/ALC add-in.  I'd be willing to pay for this added feature.  The compressor part would be for the audiofiles that want detailed control (attack, release, ratio, etc.).  The ALC (automatic level control) would just be an on or off feature that would maintain a nearly constant volume despite dynamic changes in the music volume.  This would fix both changes within a song and differences between songs so you could here both loud and quiet passages when there is background noise like while driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not add a few "advanced" audio controls that can be disabled by default for the casual user. I listen to a lot of stuff that has been remastered without compression, and sometimes I'd like to add a bit.

Archived